Q. Is an ultrasound not essential to detect the cause of lump in testicle?

Dr. Shahil Khant
Published on Mar 31, 2018

My 24 year old son discovered a small lump in his testicle about a month ago. He saw a urologist immediately who did a physical exam, drew some blood and took a urine specimen. He said that the lump was located on the back of the testicle and most likely a benign cyst. We had a follow up today for the results of his blood work. He had a very low testosterone level and extremely low vitamin D and an elevated estrogen level. He was placed on a vitamin D supplement and 1 mg of Anastrozole per week to block the production of estrogen and raise his testosterone. He still maintains that these issues are the cause of the lump but we have had no ultrasound or anything that I would have expected to diagnose a problem. Should we push for a second opinion?

Dr. Shahil Khant

Andrology General Surgery Urology
#

Relax and do not worry.

Testicular lumps are very common in young people.

As your urologist has examined you, there are high chances of it being a benign cyst arising from the epididymis.

But, I will suggest an ultrasound scrotum just to be sure and confirm it is a cyst only. So, insist for ultrasound scrotum.

Hormonal problem and lump of testicular cyst are two different things and as per me are not related together.

If it gets confirmed on USG that it is epididymis cyst, then nothing is to be done until there is pain or increase in size.

For more information consult a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

From the USG report, is my testicle size normal?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 23 years old. I am attaching my USG report, which I had two months before. Is my testicle size normal? Please give me correct answer as I need to go for a medical examination next month. Can I pass the medical exam? I am also attaching medical pro forma. Thank you.  Read Full »

Testicular Pain

Article Overview: Read about all the possible causes and symptoms of testicular pain. Also, learn about home remedies and treatment options. Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan
Sexologist

Testicle Anatomy Testes or testicles are male reproductive glands which produce sperm and the hormone testosterone. Males have two testicles within the scrotum, which is the extension of the abdominal wall. The testes are covered by a membrane called tunica albuginea, and the insides are made of fi...  Read Article

Testicular ultrasound showed multiple lesions. Do I need testicular biopsy to confirm cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, I have had an ultrasound on my testicles and found multiple solid nodules or lumps and lesions in both testicles. He strongly suspects germ cell tumors. I have had blood tests done, and tumor markers and everything else is normal. I will be seeing a urologist in about two weeks. Do I have...  Read Full »