Q. Is an ultrasound not essential to detect the cause of lump in testicle?

Dr. Shahil Khant

My 24 year old son discovered a small lump in his testicle about a month ago. He saw a urologist immediately who did a physical exam, drew some blood and took a urine specimen. He said that the lump was located on the back of the testicle and most likely a benign cyst. We had a follow up today for the results of his blood work. He had a very low testosterone level and extremely low vitamin D and an elevated estrogen level. He was placed on a vitamin D supplement and 1 mg of Anastrozole per week to block the production of estrogen and raise his testosterone. He still maintains that these issues are the cause of the lump but we have had no ultrasound or anything that I would have expected to diagnose a problem. Should we push for a second opinion?

#

Relax and do not worry.

Testicular lumps are very common in young people.

As your urologist has examined you, there are high chances of it being a benign cyst arising from the epididymis.

But, I will suggest an ultrasound scrotum just to be sure and confirm it is a cyst only. So, insist for ultrasound scrotum.

Hormonal problem and lump of testicular cyst are two different things and as per me are not related together.

If it gets confirmed on USG that it is epididymis cyst, then nothing is to be done until there is pain or increase in size.

For more information consult a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

|