Q. Testicular ultrasound showed multiple lesions. Do I need testicular biopsy to confirm cancer?

Dr. Arvind Guru

I have had an ultrasound on my testicles and found multiple solid nodules or lumps and lesions in both testicles. He strongly suspects germ cell tumors. I have had blood tests done, and tumor markers and everything else is normal. I will be seeing a urologist in about two weeks. Do I have cancer? Can my testicles be biopsied without losing them?

#

• Any testicular mass is treated as cancer unless proven otherwise. That is why it is advised to evaluate the lesions found by patient or ultrasound by surgical removal and detailed pathological examination.
  • Whereas for most other sites, the biopsy is possible. The biopsy is not recommended for testicular lesions as there is a very high risk of either seeding to the scrotal skin and changing the lymphatic drainage of the testis.
  • In your cases as well, the biopsy is not an option, unless a lymphoma or leukemia is suspected. It is unlikely at your age unless you had it in the past.
  • The option is further evaluation of these lesions on MRI imaging as suggested by your radiologist. That can clarify the matter a bit more.
  • If there is still confusion, then very close short-term follow-up can be done.
  • If these are still suspicious for cancer on MRI, then removal and pathological examination are the recommended protocol. Please talk to your urologist about it.

For further information consult a surgical oncologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/surgical-oncologist

| 

MRI spine showed intramedullary mass at T4. Is it a cyst or malignancy?

Query: Hello doctor, I had an MRI of the thoracic spine and it showed an intramedullar mass at level T4. I was told it is likely to be a cyst and is not malignant. However, everything I have read online says that intramedullar lesions are almost always malignant and cysts are rare or maybe evidence of MS,...  Read Full »

What are the risks of conducting biopsy on a pregnant woman?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 30 years old and 20 weeks pregnant. I got an abnormal pap result with ASC-H. I had another pap two years ago and it was normal. My doctor wants to do a colposcopy and biopsy. However, I read that it does result in complication when biopsy is performed on a pregnant woman. Can I do bi...  Read Full »

Is WBC count is 40000 suggestive of leukemia?

Query: Hello doctor, What would you think if you see a WBC count as 40000 on CBC findings? Is it enough to think about leukemia or lymphoma? What is the difference between leukemia and leukemoid reaction? Please explain.  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Surgical Oncologist Now