Q. Does low Hb count cause paleness of nails and tongue?

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli
This is a premium question & answer published on May 19, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have little spots here and there along with white discharge. I had PCOD problem previously. I took a scan last month and the report was normal. I feel like my Hb count is low. I am feeling very tired and sleepy. Are these spots because of the low Hb count? Prescribe some ways to improve my Hb count. I am attaching my scan report too.

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli

#

I read your query. Your scan report was normal (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Different types of infections may cause itching or an abnormal discharge. These include:

1. Infections that spread during sexual contact. These include chlamydia, gonorrhea (GC), and trichomoniasis.
  2. Vaginal yeast infection, caused by a fungus.
  3. Normal bacteria that live in the vagina can overgrow causing a gray discharge and fishy odor. This is called bacterial vaginosis (BV).

Regarding low Hb (hemoglobin), you can treat it, but before that, we need to know the cause to prevent its recurrence. I would like to ask few questions so that I can know the cause of low hemoglobin count.

1. Have you ever noticed any excess blood loss?
  2. Do you have black colored stools?
  3. Is there any bleeding from any body surface area?

It is advisable to go for a blood investigation before starting the treatment for anemia, or the reports may alter.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

Yes, I would like to go for a test before medication. For the past one week, the stools are black in color.

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli

#

Then, I advise you to go for a few blood investigations such as:

1. Hemogram.
  2. Serum ferritin.
  3. Transferrin.
  4. Stool for occult blood.
  5. Stool routine for ova or cyst
  6. Urine routine.

Black-colored stools are suggestive of blood loss from the upper gastrointestinal tract or due to any medication like iron supplementation. Hemogram will get us the information regarding how much Hb is there and what type of anemia. It will help us know the actual cause.

Stool for occult blood will get us the information regarding any blood that leaks out of your body unnoticed. Right now, you do not take any medication like iron supplements that may alter your results. Let me know how much anemia affects your life:

1. Do you have any difficulty in doing routine work?
  2. Did you notice any breathlessness?
  3. Is there a swelling of the legs or face?
  4. Do you have any other health issues?

Kindly notify if you had any kind of health issues in the past except PCOD.

| 

I have tiredness. My nails and tongue look too pale. Other than this and PCOD, there are no major health issues.

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli

#

• From you description, it seems that you have a mild anemia and do not need an immediate blood transfusion.
  • Regarding the paleness of nails and tongue, they are quite common symptoms of anemia.
  • There is nothing to worry as of now and you will gradually recover from the tiredness and weakness once your Hb levels start improving.
  • Right now, my advice is to try to avoid any strenuous exercise or heavy work for some time until you start improving as that may lead to a difficulty in breathing or chest pain.
  • Let me know the following details to be able to guide you better:
  1. Are you sexually active?
  2. Were you pregnant anytime?
  3. Have you noticed any irregularities in your menstruation like excess bleeding or clots?
  4. Do you have a child? If yes, was that by a cesarean or normal delivery?
  • You can go for blood investigation as early as possible and follow-up with the reports so that you can start off with your treatment.
  • Try to have a lot of fresh fruits, salads, and green leafy vegetables as part of your diet.

Stay healthy and stay blessed.

|