Q. I have anemia with low ferritin level. Can it be cured with diet and supplements?

Published on Aug 01, 2018

My age is 27 years and I am a female. I have anemia with a very low ferritin level 2.1 and HB is 6.5. Can it be cleared by taking diet and iron supplements? Which is a good time to take Zincofer syrup, how much ml? Please advice.

Hematology Pathology
#

Your symptoms are suggestive of iron deficiency anemia. I want to check your full CBC report. The investigations that are suggested in your case is peripheral smear examination, transferrin saturation, and serum TIBC (total iron binding capacity) also. You need to be given iron sucrose injections to replenish lost iron store and to improve hemoglobin level. Then maintenance with oral ferrous ascorbate tablet or iron syrup can be prescribed for three months. Provide your reports to guide you further. Take care.

For more information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

Do I need vitamin D and iron supplement?

Query: Hi doctor, My 25-OH vitamin D total CLIA test showed result of 13.36 ng/mL. What supplement should I start and for how long? Also my iron is 41.2. Do I need a supplement?  Read Full »

How to treat iron deficiency anemia?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 13 years old. She is having moderate to severe stomach pain for a year. We thought that it was related to constipation. After a few weeks, my daughter started to have a headache, feeling of dizziness, and shortness of breath. She had a habit of eating ice all the time. Her...  Read Full »

I am anemic even after taking iron supplements. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a history of anemia. I have been taking iron supplements prescribed by my doctor for the past few months. After a while, I had an appointment, and my doctor said that I am still very anemic. A few years ago, I had an eating problem. I was overeating, but I did not gain weight. Is t...  Read Full »

Ask a Hematologist Now