Q. I got small bumps on the penis after oral sex. Can it be syphilis?

This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 17, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have five small bumps appeared on the head of my penis after I had oral sex. It has been two months now, but it is still there. I have attached the photo. Also about two weeks ago I got rash on my hands, around the feet, and legs. When I consulted a doctor he said it is probably syphilis and gave me 2,400,000 units of Penicillin G shots. However, the results of blood test came back negative for syphilis. The result is rapid plasma reagin non-reactive. I am really confused whether the rash is related to oral sex or not. Please help.

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

I need few more details to guide you.

• Please do tell me the complaint in the bump and rash?
  • After how many days of exposure had you undergone RPR (rapid plasma reagin)?

Revert back with the answers for the above questions to a venereologist online -->  https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/venereologist

| 

The small bumps appeared the day after receiving oral sex from a girl. The rash appeared one and a half month later. I had sent the photo of the bumps as well as the rash. The rash is fading away, but those bumps on foreskin of penis look the same. So, I do not know if the rash is related to that or not. The RPR test was done about a week after the rash appeared which mean one and a half month after that exposure.

#

• Clinically, it is a case of syphilis with the lesion matching with the presentation of secondary syphilis.
  • RPR was negative, because it is an antibody based test. It usually takes six weeks to become positive after the exposure.
  • Please undergo VDRL (venereal disease research laboratory) test, as it will not only be diagnostic but also the only test to assess treatment response.
  • Although you have taken the recommended treatment for secondary syphilis, I would advise you to take Doxycycline 100 mg twice daily for 14 days and Azithromycin 500 mg for five days.
  • As Doxycycline causes acidity, do not forget to take Pantoprazole 40 mg half an hour before meal.
  • I am prescribing the medication even if you have taken the recommended one for syphilis because this is called as syndromic management of sexually transmitted disease.
  • As syphilis frequently found in association with gonorrhea and chlamydia this approach will treat all the concurrent infections.

For further information consult a venereologist online -->  https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/venereologist

| 

I am wondering about two things. One is that syphilis is usually described to leave an ulcer called a chancre at the site of inoculation. Why is it that in my case, it is just 5 small round bumps on penis foreskin that are close together. I never had a any ulcer appear. Also these bumps on the foreskin first appeared almost two months ago yet they are still there. Why is it that my rash is fading away but these bumps still appear the same after all this time. Why has not gone away yet?

#

• Since the route of acquiring syphilis, Treponema pallidum, is not through penis, the chances of acquiring primary chancre is also less.
  • Syphilis can also occur due to blood transfusion and in such cases no primary chancre appears and this is known as syphilis d' emblee.
  • The bumps on the penis are seems to be unrelated to STD (sexually transmitted disease). They are follicular prominences and can remain there for very long without any harm.
  • Electrofulguration or laser can be tried for them but according to me it is not needed.

|