Q. What are the other tests done to confirm HIV?

Dr. Kiran Anaparthi

The doctor told me to test for a retrovirus. Unfortunately, it came positive. He said you might have HIV.

Then I went to a government hospital where they took my blood sample, and they gave me the results within two hours. They told me I have HIV 1. Soon, after that, they started my treatment.

Now I am on ART therapy. But till today I am not sure that whether I am HIV positive or not. I have started taking medicines.

I am having a problem with my appetite and some brain problem. My CD4 count was 503.

Please help me. I did a VDRL test which came out positive. I am also taking medicines for TLE.

#

As far as the HIV test is concerned, it is positive (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and if you have a doubt, then you can get tested for RNA PCR.

You have the infection, because, without HIV, CD4 will not come down and also, you have checked for HIV, as you are having risk behaviors (as suspected by the doctor).

Yes, Efavirenz will have these effects like vivid dreams, hallucinations, reeling sensation but these will wear off over the time. No need to worry.

Regarding VDRL (venereal disease research laboratory), it indicates syphilis, and you need to take Benzathine penicillin injection of 2.4 million units once weekly for three weeks.

The syphilitic ulcer may have acted as a portal for the entry of virus during the first infection. Keep in regular follows up for better treatment plans.

For more information consult an HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

|