Q. I was misdiagnosed to have syphilis and had treatment. What to do?

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 24, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 24 year old male. Before a month, I visited a hospital in my hometown for pain on the penis. They conducted VDRL and TPHA test and said that the test came back as weak positive. So, it is the first stage of syphilis. They prescribed me an injection and some tablets for five days. After 10 days, I moved to my place and got both VDRL and TPHA tests in a reputed diagnostic center and the tests came back negative. But, I have taken the medicines prescribed to me. Now, I am getting some neck pain and headache. Can that be a side effect of those medications?

#

• TPHA (Treponema pallidum hemagglutination) is a test to detect treponemal antibodies, which are produced by the body against the bug that causes syphilis.
  • The point is that TPHA is known to show false positive results for some reasons and hence, any positive reaction should be confirmed with TPI (treponemal immobilization) or FTA-ABS (fluorescent treponemal antibody absorption) particularly in asymptomatic patients.
  • Good that you have tested negative. About your pain, do not worry and it is not definitely due to treatment.
  • I suggest you tablet Paracetamol 500 or 650 mg for neck pain and headache. Sleep well and do not be anxious.
  • It would be great if you could send the medicines and injection you have used. Take care.

Revert with the prescription details to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

I have attached my prescription. Please verify the medicines used by me.

#

• It seems that you have been prescribed with antispasmodic that is a painkiller and antibiotics Amoxiclav (Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid). These medicines are very safe and do not cause any discomfort (attachment removed to protect patient identity).
  • Your pain may be due to physical exertion, anxiety, dehydration or improper and incomplete sleep. Have some good sleep, drink plenty of fluids as well and stay hydrated.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|