Q. I was misdiagnosed to have syphilis and had treatment. What to do?

Answered by
Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 24, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hi doctor,

I am a 24 year old male. Before a month, I visited a hospital in my hometown for pain on the penis. They conducted VDRL and TPHA test and said that the test came back as weak positive. So, it is the first stage of syphilis. They prescribed me an injection and some tablets for five days. After 10 days, I moved to my place and got both VDRL and TPHA tests in a reputed diagnostic center and the tests came back negative. But, I have taken the medicines prescribed to me. Now, I am getting some neck pain and headache. Can that be a side effect of those medications?



Welcome to icliniq.com.

  • TPHA (Treponema pallidum hemagglutination) is a test to detect treponemal antibodies, which are produced by the body against the bug that causes syphilis.
  • The point is that TPHA is known to show false positive results for some reasons and hence, any positive reaction should be confirmed with TPI (treponemal immobilization) or FTA-ABS (fluorescent treponemal antibody absorption) particularly in asymptomatic patients.
  • Good that you have tested negative. About your pain, do not worry and it is not definitely due to treatment.
  • I suggest you tablet Paracetamol 500 or 650 mg for neck pain and headache. Sleep well and do not be anxious.
  • It would be great if you could send the medicines and injection you have used. Take care.

Revert with the prescription details to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Hi doctor,

I have attached my prescription. Please verify the medicines used by me.



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

  • It seems that you have been prescribed with antispasmodic that is a painkiller and antibiotics Amoxiclav (Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid). These medicines are very safe and do not cause any discomfort (attachment removed to protect patient identity).
  • Your pain may be due to physical exertion, anxiety, dehydration or improper and incomplete sleep. Have some good sleep, drink plenty of fluids as well and stay hydrated.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Will antibiotics help to improve IBS?

.. gone through your query and reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I can understand your concern. As you told that your mother had IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), I want to tell you that antibiotics are not the treatment for IB...   Read full

I have severe stomach and back pain at the same time. Can you Suggest any quick remedy?

Usually taking antacid formation medicine like Pantoprazole 40 mg on empty stomach reduces this pain ... Please visit your doctor and they will give you a prescription of Pantoprazole if requi...   Read full

Should I go for treponemal test three years after sexual contact?

I had a sexual contact three years ago and only last month I went for (VDRL nontreponemal test) and is negative ... May I know should I test for Treponemal test such...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

COVID-19 Vaccines
A COVID-19 vaccine provides acquired immunity against the new Coronavirus. Read the article to know everything about the...  Read more»
The Perils of Social Media Addiction
Social media addiction affects both physical and mental health. Read this article to know more.  Read more»
COVID-19 - Second Wave
The second wave of COVID-19 is a red flag. Read more to know about the precautionary measures.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Internal Medicine Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.