Q. What are the causes of a heart beating at 104 to 106 beats per minute?

Dr. Sapkal Ganeshrao Patilba

My heart beats really fast, and it is around 104 to 106 beats per minute. Also, I feel breathless. I have got my echo and ECG done. The doctor said that it was due to anxiety and nothing else. But, I have read online that if a person has anxiety, these symptoms like breathlessness and fast heart rate are not there. In my case, I have these symptoms all day long. Even my chest and my stomach vibrate a lot. I have also read online that if the heart vibrates fast when you are at rest, it is called sinus tachycardia. I am really unsure whether it is anxiety or something else. I am unable to do even a small physical work without getting out of breath, so I thought of getting a second opinion. Also, I am taking anxiety medications like Fluoxetine Hydrochloride, Lipoic acid, and multivitamins. I also take thyroid medication. But there is no improvement in my condition. Please help.

#

I read your query and understand your concern.

I have gone through the details you provided. Your electrocardiogram (ECG) is fine.

Various conditions can cause such symptoms as stress, anxiety, low hemoglobin, thyroid disease, increased weight, etc.

As your ECG and echocardiogram (echo) show no major problems, I will suggest a few blood tests like complete blood count (CBC), thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH), blood sugar level (BSL), and serum creatinine.

Inappropriate sinus tachycardia is not a common condition to diagnose. We require 24 hour Holter test to see the nature of tachycardia and to diagnose inappropriate sinus tachycardia.

I do have thyroid issues, and I am taking medications as well, so it is normal.

#

I understand your concern.

What was your last thyroid profile report?

I have only got my TSH test done, and it was 3, I guess, and I have never got T3 and T4 done. Also, I have monitored that mostly in the morning and afternoon, my heartbeat is around 106 or 105 and then gets to 96 or 97, and then sometimes it is 84, then again 96 or 97. Is that IST? Or can it be due to anxiety, anemia, or thyroid?

#

I understand your concern.

Your thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) is within normal limits.

To check anemia, we have to perform blood tests.

To diagnose tachycardia, we have to do Holter's test.

If these two tests are fine, then we can say that it may be due to anxiety.

Thanks.

|