Q. Is there a chance my wife will develop a urinary tract infection while using tampons or menstrual cups?

Dr. Sugreev Singh

My wife has never used a tampon or menstrual cup before, and we have heard people saying it is the best alternative to pads. Now she wants to try both a tampon and menstrual cup. She researched a lot about the right way to use tampons and menstrual cups, but she could not find a promising method. We would like to hear from a doctor about using tampons and cups.

1) How long can a cup be used?

2) How to wash and store it?

3) Will she have a urinary tract infection if she uses them?

She is worried about having a urinary tract infection during this process.

Please help, doctor.

#

I can understand your concern.

She can use both tampons and menstrual cups, and there is no problem at all. Usually, tampons can be used for 6 - 8 hours, and cups can be used for a more extended period. You have to wash it with warm water, boil it, and keep it in water for 5 - 10 minutes to be reused. If she develops any irritation and rashes, it is a sign that it is not suitable, so she can stop using it. It is a simple way, and there is nothing to worry about.

|