Q. How to prevent tapeworm infection?

Dr. Babu Lal Meena
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 24, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 28, 2021

I have severe Crohn's disease, which is not under control. I ate a piece of medium rare steak with tapeworm in it, and I am terrified that I may have got tapeworm infection. I have tried puking, but not much came out as my body does not process things completely before passing it on. Is there anything I can do to keep myself from getting tapeworm infection?

#

• Tapeworm infection occurs by ingesting the eggs, not by an adult worm. The ingested egg complete their life cycle in the host. The symptoms of tapeworm infection are varied, and it depends on the site of infection, for example, seizures in the case of CNS (central nervous system) infection.
  • Prevention of tapeworm should be done by avoiding contaminated foods and boiling the food adequately before eating. Half boiled food should not be taken.
  • I suggest getting the following test done:
  1. Stool routine examination.
  2. Opthalmology examination.
  3. NCCT (non-contrast head CT) head to look for CNS evidence.
  • We normally treat tapeworm infection with Albendazole therapy for 8 to 30 days, depending on the site of the infection. 400 mg twice a day of Albendazole for eight days at least. For neurological infection, we start steroids before the treatment to prevent acute inflammation.
  • Crohn's disease requires the use of biologics if not used already. We use Infliximab for Crohn's. If you provide the details, current status, and investigations, we can plan the treatment.

Revert with more information to a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

|