Q. What can I do to get rid of tapeworms?

Dr. Srinivas Morampudi
Published on Jun 09, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jun 12, 2019

I suspect I may have tapeworms. How can I be sure and what can I do to get rid of them?

Dr. Srinivas Morampudi

Internal Medicine
#

Stool tests can identify tapeworm infestation. However, because the worms and eggs are shed intermittently, the test may have to be repeated three to four times if the initial test is negative. Stool tests can also identify other intestinal parasites. Blood tests (serological tests) are also available, including ELISA (enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay) and PCR (polymerase chain reaction). Praziquantel is the drug that is used to treat tapeworm infestations.

| 

Parasitic Worm Infestations and Deworming

Article Overview: Worm infestations are one of the major causes of stomach pain in children. Worms tend to live in the digestive tracts and feed off of the host's nutrition. This article talks about worm infestation and the importance of deworming. Read Article

Dr. Vasantha K S

Worms are parasites living in the different organ systems of the hosts and feed off of their nutrition. There are certain parasites, whose hosts are us, humans. They may also infest other organs of the body, but in humans, most commonly they infest the digestive tract. While parasitic infestations a...  Read Article

What to do if there are worms in your child's poop and urine?

Query: Respected doctor,My daughter is 4 years and 3 months old. Nowadays, we are seeing that she is wetting her bed. We checked urine RE. Everything shows normal. But we find that a tiny white worm is dancing in her stool and urine although after a regular checkup she has taken syrup Zentel (10 ml). Pleas...  Read Full »