Tattooing

How long should I wait to donate blood after getting a tattoo?

Query: Hi doctor, I got a tattoo before five months. A blood donation drive is going to happen by next month. Am I eligible to donate blood? How long should a tattooed person wait to donate blood?  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: If it is from a professional tattoo artist and the needle was changed, then you can donate after a week. We are only worried about allergic reactions. If you are not sure, then deferral period is usually six months. After tha...  Read Full »

What are some of my yellow and green tattoos itchy, hard, and bumpy?

Query: Good day doctors. I have a concern with my tattoo that I got 2 months back. I have five tattoos with different colors (blue, yellow, red, green and purple). I've been experiencing itching on my yellow and green tattoos from time to time, that lasts for about 2 weeks. It subsides eventually for 5 -8...  Read Full »

Dr. Suvina Attavar

Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: hi, welcome to icliniq Itchiness and thickening over the tattoos could indicate a couple of things. Firstly since these are occurring over the coloured pigments there is a high chance that you have developed a tattoo granuloma , which means the coloured pigments have caused a foreign body reaction ...  Read Full »

I got a tattoo with used needles. Am I at risk of HIV?

Query: Hello doctor, I made a tattoo almost six months back. Even at the time of receiving tattoo, the artist used multiple needles in which I saw changing few and missed some. I asked him about needle changing to which he said he did. My concern is what are the chances of contracting HIV in worst-case sc...  Read Full »

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

Dermatologist, Venereologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Cosmetologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Needle can transmit HIV only if the needle was freshly used in another person send the amount of blood collected in the needle is significant. This is because the HIV virus dies very quickly outside the body. In my opinion, the odds of transferring HIV infection in ...  Read Full »

What are the chances of an epidermal prick while tattooing getting infected?

Query: Hi doctor, Four days ago I visited a tattoo shop. It is a small one and I think he will do only temporary ones. Suddenly, I got a hit on the backside of my right thumb. I stopped him as he did not change the needle. Little piercing was done till my epidermis of skin. I am scared. What should I do no...  Read Full »

Dr. Gauri Kshirsagar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are lot of medical issues which can occur from tattooing like HIV infection, tetanus, hepatitis B and C and allergic reactions. Nowadays tattooists reduced such risks by following universal precautions, working with single use items, and sterilizing their equip...  Read Full »

How to cure a scar caused due to burning the tattoo with slaked lime and washing soda?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a tatto. I was bad and due to embarrassment I burned it with slaked lime and washing soda, it now swelled up. It is five months now when I burned it with slaked lime and washing soda. Please tel me the right way to cure this. What medicines I have to take? What is the cost? I am...  Read Full »

Dr. Shaunak Patel

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your problem, but you have got a hypertrophied scar. Scar remolding process can continue to take place months after the real injury. In your case, burning with soda and slaked lime. It could be active but you can halt the activity by visiting the dermato...  Read Full »

Can a tattoo be removed without injury to the skin?

Query: Hello doctor, Tattoo removal, can tattoo be removed without injury to the skin or creating a scar? I have gone for two sessions for laser treatment for tattoo removal, and each time there were multiple pinhole injuries, and the tattoo has not faded even a single bit. Is this treatment I am receivin...  Read Full »

Dr. Vikram Kumar R

Plastic Surgeon, Cosmetologist, Hair Transplant Surgeon

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Tattoo removal by a laser that is Q-switch laser causes these pinpoint spots as you have sent (attachment removed to protect patient identity). This is a normal phenomenon after laser. But it does not usually create scar if done correctly. Also, it would take at leas...  Read Full »

I developed hives on my tattoo. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, When I was younger, I was allergic to everything. Now, I have been suffering from the pollen allergy syndrome and fairly bad seasonal allergies. Three months ago, I got my first tattoo. It looks beautiful and healed wonderfully. After getting a tattoo, I noticed seven hives on my legs on ...  Read Full »

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Pollen allergy syndrome is a very common manifestation due to allergy to allergens like pollen, raw fruits, vegetables or some tree nuts. The immune system recognizes the pollen as foreign substance and directs an allergic response to it. The symptoms are usually itchy...  Read Full »

Can tattoo over a birthmark cover it?

Query: Hello doctor, I am attaching a picture of a mark. Can you tell me if this is a melanoma? It has been that size for a long time but, it looks a little weird.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your description and the given picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it seems you have a mole or melanocytic nevus. They are considered benign melanomas and nothing actively needs to be done for them. If the mole shows a sudden increase in s...  Read Full »

I am worried about HIV after getting a tattoo. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I received a tattoo recently. The artist used a new needle, a new tune and a new ink pot. The ink was poured directly into the ink pot from a larger bottle, and he throws the ink out after each tattoo. He did not clean the gun grip. He did clean my arm before the tattoo was applied and ag...  Read Full »

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com.  I have read your query in detail and do understand your concern. The conditions you have mentioned are not the risk factors for acquiring an HIV infection. The risk is there only if a drop of some HIV positive person's blood from the gun was transferred directly into yo...  Read Full »

If I get a tattoo, is there a fair chance for HIV?

Query: Hi doctor,I have found out that there is possible, though less likely to be infected by HIV through tattooing if done carefully and professionally with the equipment either sterilized or new. What I am anxious about is that my fiance got a tattoo done yesterday, unprofessionally (it was done by a lo...  Read Full »

Dr. Suneetha B S

Diabetologist, Family Physician, Microbiologist, Nutritionist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. Firstly, stop worrying. There is a solution to your problem. It is true that unsterile needles used for tattooing can lead to the spread of certain blood-borne infections. HIV virus is quite unstable outside the human body, so it is less li...  Read Full »