Q. Some of my yellow and green tattoos are itchy, bumpy, and hard. What should I do?

Answered by
Dr. Suvina Attavar
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sneha Kannan
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 21, 2020

Good day doctors. I have a concern with my tattoo that I got 2 months back. I have five tattoos with different colors (blue, yellow, red, green and purple). I've been experiencing itching on my yellow and green tattoos from time to time, that lasts for about 2 weeks. It subsides eventually for 5 -8 days then itching comes back again. The itching tattoos are bumpy and hard. What should I do? Thank you.

# hi, welcome to icliniq

Itchiness and thickening over the tattoos could indicate a couple of things.
Firstly since these are occurring over the coloured pigments there is a high chance that you have developed a tattoo granuloma , which means the coloured pigments have caused a foreign body reaction in your skin, if topical steroids like hydrocortisone doesnt help intralesional steroid injection/dermabrasion/laser might be needed. Again laser for green and yellow pigments are separate requiring alexandrite and 532pico respectively.
Secondly there could be a mycobacterium infection called tuberculous verrucosa cutis which requires oral medications.
Lastly there is a slight chance that it has become keloidal.
In any case, a biopsy is needed to confirm what exactly has caused this and treated according to the report.
My advice continue the hydrocortisone for 2 weeks and if it doesnt improve, get a biopsy done.
Hi doctor,
The hard bumpy tattoos flattens also once the itching subsides, so I think it's not keloidal. I got these tattoos on the same day and the yellow and green ones are the last to heal.
# if it flattens then its not keloidal.
You can shift to a higher level topical steroid like mometasone and see for 2weeks.
If it still recurs the other differentials need to be ruled out by a biopsy.

Was this answer helpful?



This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

If I get a tattoo, is there a fair chance for HIV?

Query: Hi doctor,I have found out that there is possible, though less likely to be infected by HIV through tattooing if done carefully and professionally with the equipment either sterilized or new. What I am anxious about is that my fiance got a tattoo done yesterday, unprofessionally (it was done by a lo...  Read Full »

Can Hydrozole be used for jock itch?

Query: Hi doctor, I had jock itch two months ago for the very first time. It is still there but fading. I started using Hydrozole cream two weeks ago, it seems to be working. How long it would take for a complete cure? After using this cream I fell some itch in legs. Now the groin skin appears red and ver...  Read Full »

Is there any permanent cure for recurring skin infections?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a chronic problem for the past six to seven years. I have the problem itching in all the skin folds and the pressed areas like under the belt including genital areas and anus. I showed the same to a doctor and he diagnosed this as eczema and fungal infection. The doctor presc...  Read Full »

Also Read

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dermatologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.