Q. Does grinding cause loosening of teeth?

Dr. Naseer Bhat

I have noticed that my first molar is loose. I keep pushing it with my tongue and clenching a bit against it and I just noticed that it has become loose little more. I have my wisdom teeth and I think it might be applying pressure forward on these teeth. I read in a book that day grinding can cause a teeth to loosen, which is easier to treat. There is no pain and the teeth look healthy. I always clench my teeth but it never caused any looseness.

Do you have a question on Teeth Grinding or Depression?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Naseer Bhat

BDS
Dentistry

I have gone through your query and you are having a habit of grinding your teeth during the night, that is called as bruxism and the symptomatic treatment for that is the use of mouth guards. I recommend you visit a dentist and get it checked. Your treatment depends on the grade of mobility. So, I am not quite sure about what grade of mobility you are having. The mobility can be in grade 1 or grade 2. If it is in grade 1, it will resolve on its own and if it is in grade 2, you need to go for scaling and root planing that is a 15 minutes procedure done only in the surgical environment. You can get mouth guards for your nightwear at any sports shop or get customed ones by giving an impression of your dental arch at the dental clinic.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

If it is in grade 1, you mean that the teeth will be loose in one direction. It moves from front to back and it is not from night grinding but it is from day grinding. I am making an appointment with my dentist but I wanted to know whether this needs an immediate action to be taken. The grade of mobility is low, I can feel it moving but it does not move enough for me.

Dr. Naseer Bhat

BDS
Dentistry

It takes a long time for a teeth to become loose and if it does so, it takes enough time to retrieve back to its normal position. So, stay safe, the dentist will prefer for hand scaling and root planing for the mobile teeth and will recommend you to massage your gums after every meal that will accelerate your healing process.

Regarding your grinding habit, why do you grind your teeth? Are you having any kind of trouble or depression? Psychological depression is considered to be one of the main reasons for grinding. So if it is like that, I suggest you please do make an appointment with your psychologist that will benefit you and please stop poking because it will worsen the condition.

Do You Grind Your Teeth at Night?
Article Overview: Most of the people who have teeth grinding habit will not accept the fact. This article gives a brief note on what are the bad effects of teeth grinding on the general and dental health.  Read Article »
Dr. Geeth Sadasivam
Dentist

Most people have the habit of clenching their teeth when in anger or during the peak of any emotional trauma. Imagine when this happens on a regular basis and during the night. Teeth grinding is medically called as bruxism. It is an involuntary action occurring especially at night. The primary reaso ...  Read Article »

I grind my teeth at night and have pain from left molar and TMJ to ear. Please help.
Query: Hello doctor, I grind my teeth at night even though it has not been confirmed. I have the white lines on my cheeks. Yesterday and today I have this pain from my left molar to my TMJ and ear ache. And I do not know if it is from where the grinding is getting worse, a tooth infection, or ear infectio...  Read Full »
Dr. Osman Adam
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The grinding teeth at night usually come from stress or psychological problems so you should visit a dentist near to you in order to get a night guard to protect grinding teeth at night. At the same time, you should consult with your psychiatric physician to know the ca...  Read Full »

Postpartum Depression
Article Overview: Postpartum depression (PPD) or postnatal depression is a kind of depression that affects a new mother. 80 % of all new moms experience baby blues, but if the symptoms are severe and it starts affecting your ability to care for your baby, then it is a sign of postpartum depression.  Read Article »
Dr. K Sneha

Postpartum Depression Postpartum depression (PPD) or postnatal depression is a kind of depression that affects a new mother. 80 % of all new moms experience baby blues, but if the symptoms are severe and it starts affecting your ability to care for your baby, then it is a sign of postpartum depress ...  Read Article »

Ask a Doctor Now