Q. I get pain and sensitivity after getting temporary crowns. Why?

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam

I got three temporary crowns in the front top teeth in the last week. The two middle teeth and one on to the right. The one on the left is perfectly fine and only took about 15 minutes to make and put in my mouth. The other two had difficulties when being made. Along with this, a couple of cords, or what looks like cords are hanging loose on the right middle and the one next to it. It feels sensitive and hurts. This is something that I am worried about and I have read multiple websites stating that my dentist was supposed to take these cords out before cementing the temporary crowns. What do I do?

#

I have read through your complaint and the relevant details. Ideally, the permanent crowns usually fixed does not come with any cords. I assume that those are the temporary ones which you have in the mouth at the moment (with a clue that you said it took only 15 minutes to make one of it). Moreover, if that is the case then those cords should the splints which are placed to stabilize the crowns in place for a good reason.

You have also not mentioned for what reason have you got the crowns for your teeth. It would be of much help if you can send a picture of the same so that I can arrive at a better treatment plan.

Coming to the sensitivity, you shall use Sensodyne rapid relief toothpaste to replace your regular toothpaste at the night and it helps you greatly.

| 

Why am I having toothache with hard bump in the gum?

Query: Hi doctor, I have pain in my molar tooth on lower right side and under it is a hard bump in my gum. The pain is only when I eat or touch bump or tooth. Please help.  Read Full »

Can calcium hydroxide cause toothache while root canal treatment?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a crown in one of my teeth on the lower left bottom. The crown came off. I went to the dentist who suggested root canal even when I did not have any problem. The root canal was completed and the crown was placed. After a few days, my teeth used to pain only on consuming hot wate...  Read Full »

My cheek feels sore after placing a temporary bridge. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a tooth extraction and a temporary bridge on my back upper teeth. The temporary bridge broke and I got another one. After this, I started to have some soreness in my left cheek and left side of my tongue. My cheek feels swollen and sore. I noticed two white bumps on the inner side o...  Read Full »