Temporary Crown

I stuck my temporary crown with toothpaste as it fell off. Why is it paining now?

Query: Hello doctor, I woke up this morning to find my temporary crown off of the teeth and stuck between the teeth and my cheek. I was able to pull it off but when I did, I noticed a piece missing from it. I did not find the piece. So, I am guessing I probably swallowed it in my sleep. My dentist is close...  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentist, Endodontist, Pedodontist, Periodontist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The pain was most likely due to sensitivity. It will settle down when the permanent crown is placed. The method of putting the crown back using toothpaste is not recommended as there is a high chance that it will dislodge again and you might end up swallowing the ent...  Read Full »

Do I need a temporary bridge before a permanent bridge on teeth?

Query: Hi doctor, I am in the process of getting ready for a dental bridge, a total of seven teeth order of porcelain fused and then a crown, etc. Now, tomorrow I am supposed to get a temporary bridge. I got a call today that they are going to prepare my teeth tomorrow and go ahead and do permanent bridge...  Read Full »

Dr. Ummah Mohammad

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your temporary bridge was just for the time being that your dentist might have thought permanent will take time for fabrication, so temporary was only for your comfort and esthetic issues. Temporary is generally given if there is a delay in permanent and to check if th...  Read Full »

Why do I have gum pain after temporary crown placement?

Query: Hi doctor, I am looking for a little advice since I cannot be seen until tomorrow by my dentist. I recently had a root canal on my bottom left tooth (last one at the back in the photo). A few weeks later, I got a temporary crown placed over it. The area beyond the tooth is inflamed and hurts badly. ...  Read Full »

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I had gone through your complaint and the relevant details (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The cause of your pain should be either of the following. When you bite, the upper last molar might hit the lower gums beyond the root canal treated tooth cau...  Read Full »

How is a cracked molar treated?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a cracked molar tooth. My dentist drilled it down and put on a temporary. We waited for a week and the temporary hurt. He decided that I need crown lengthening, which I had done. I went back to the dentist after it healed for three weeks and had an impression for a crown. He had to ...  Read Full »

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read through your complaint and the relevant details. A cracked tooth can be root canal treated depending on the direction of the crack within the tooth especially if it involves the vital part of the tooth called the pulp. The pulp is the vital part. When it is in...  Read Full »

Why is there a whole in my temporary crown?

Query: Hi doctor, My upper incisor has a fracture. So, I had a temporary crown and then a couple weeks later I had a root canal completed. And today, I had my crown lengthening done to prepare for the permanent crown. My dentist mentioned to me that I would feel a hole in the back of my tooth, which I do....  Read Full »

Dr. Prerna Jain

Dentist, Orthodontist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The whole procedure you described is pretty standard and usually expected. During root canal treatment, till it is completed a temporary filling is placed in the hole. This hole on the back of the tooth is where the root canal treatment is done from. However...  Read Full »

I swallowed my tooth. Please help

Query: Hello doctor, I have swallowed my dental cap while eating. What do I do now? I am very scared.  Read Full »

Dr. Asma Parveen

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Firstly, I would like to know, are you sure that you swallowed it? Because, sometimes we just lose it while rinsing the mouth too. How many hours back did you swallow it? Are you having any breathing difficulty or a stomach pain? In case it was stuck somewhere in your...  Read Full »

What causes pain in the temporary crown on biting?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a temporary crown on a tooth on the upper right side almost a week ago due to extreme sensitivity and pain when biting down. My dentist said that I had a microfracture and so he placed the crown. I am still experiencing pain when I bite down but less sensitivity than before. However...  Read Full »

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read through your complaint and the relevant details. The general pain is mostly because of the temporary crown only. The reason being the height of the crown is slightly in excess, which interferes with the normal bite. So what happens is, when you clench your up...  Read Full »

Temporary crown came out. Is there any substance that will hold it in for now?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having a crown installed, and last night at dinner, the temporary crown came out. Is there some kind of substance that will hold the temporary crown in until I can reach my dentist?  Read Full »

Dr. Srinivas Saketh Gummuluru

Dentist, Oral Implantologist, Oral And Maxillofacial Surgery

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You can leave it as such without placing the temporary crown. But make sure you do not bite onto anything until the crown is placed. Another option is that you can dip the temporary crown in water and then place it on your tooth and hold on for a few minutes. The temporar...  Read Full »

What is the treatment for soft teeth that chip off easily in a baby?

Query: Hello doctor, My baby is one year old. She has soft teeth in the front and she is not able to bite anything with the upper teeth. If she bites, the teeth start chipping. What am I to do?  Read Full »

Dr. Rachna

Dentist, Oral Implantologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If the enamel matrix formation is deficient, it will result in soft teeth that chips and/or decays easily. It may also result in an atypical or abnormal tooth shape. This is called enamel hypoplasia. Treatment for this dental condition includes removal of the very soft...  Read Full »