Q. I fixed my temporary crown back with toothpaste and now my tooth hurts. Why?

Dr. Naveen Thomas
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 06, 2017 and last reviewed on: Nov 25, 2019

I woke up this morning to find my temporary crown off of the teeth and stuck between the teeth and my cheek. I was able to pull it off but when I did, I noticed a piece missing from it. I did not find the piece. So, I am guessing I probably swallowed it in my sleep. My dentist is closed today and I cannot find an emergency number for them. So, I looked up remedies online. I cleaned out the temporary and applied a small amount of Sensodyne toothpaste and spread it around. I then put the temporary back on and cleaned the excess toothpaste and bit down a little. The problem is when I placed the temporary back on with the toothpaste, it hurt very badly for about 10 minutes. I applied a small bit of Orajel to the surrounding area.

Now, my question is two-part: Was it supposed to hurt when I placed temporary back on and fixed it with the toothpaste? Is that just sensitivity? I have had fairly cold water and it has not hurt. So, I did not think it would be temperature and maybe it is the toothpaste. My second question is, is it a problem that the temporary now has a piece missing from it? I was reading that the important thing is that it stays on so the tooth does not move. I have an appointment in two days to have my sutures removed. Obviously, they will see this piece missing and I worry it is a big deal but, I have no way of contacting them.

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentistry Endodontist Paediatric Dentistry Periodontist
#

• The pain was most likely due to sensitivity. It will settle down when the permanent crown is placed.
  • The method of putting the crown back using toothpaste is not recommended as there is a high chance that it will dislodge again and you might end up swallowing the entire crown. So, remove it and get it redone from any available dentist.
  • The missing piece of the crown is not a problem at all. You should just get the permanent crown fixed when you go back.

For more information consult a periodontist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/periodontist

|