Q. I fixed my temporary crown back with toothpaste and now my tooth hurts. Why?

Answered by
Dr. Naveen Thomas
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
Published on Sep 06, 2017 and last reviewed on: May 27, 2019

Hello doctor,

I woke up this morning to find my temporary crown off of the teeth and stuck between the teeth and my cheek. I was able to pull it off but when I did, I noticed a piece missing from it. I did not find the piece. So, I am guessing I probably swallowed it in my sleep. My dentist is closed today and I cannot find an emergency number for them. So, I looked up remedies online. I cleaned out the temporary and applied a small amount of Sensodyne toothpaste and spread it around. I then put the temporary back on and cleaned the excess toothpaste and bit down a little. The problem is when I placed the temporary back on with the toothpaste, it hurt very badly for about 10 minutes. I applied a small bit of Orajel to the surrounding area.

Now, my question is two-part: Was it supposed to hurt when I placed temporary back on and fixed it with the toothpaste? Is that just sensitivity? I have had fairly cold water and it has not hurt. So, I did not think it would be temperature and maybe it is the toothpaste. My second question is, is it a problem that the temporary now has a piece missing from it? I was reading that the important thing is that it stays on so the tooth does not move. I have an appointment in two days to have my sutures removed. Obviously, they will see this piece missing and I worry it is a big deal but, I have no way of contacting them.

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentistry Endodontist Paediatric Dentistry Periodontist


Welcome to icliniq.com.

  • The pain was most likely due to sensitivity. It will settle down when the permanent crown is placed.
  • The method of putting the crown back using toothpaste is not recommended as there is a high chance that it will dislodge again and you might end up swallowing the entire crown. So, remove it and get it redone from any available dentist.
  • The missing piece of the crown is not a problem at all. You should just get the permanent crown fixed when you go back.

For more information consult a periodontist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/periodontist

Also Read Answers From:

Related Questions & Answers

What treatment choices do I have for fused front teeth?

Query: Hello doctor, My front teeth are fused together. Even smiling properly is an ordeal. What treatment choices do I have? Is there anything which is not so invasive like veneers? If extraction turns out to be the only option, will my teeth be removed from the roots? Is anything else possible? I really ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would suggest that you can go for full ceramic crowns instead of veneers. Full ceramic crowns are expensive, but they are esthetically very good. For further information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist  Read Full

Other than braces, how to close the gap between two front teeth?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a gap between my two front teeth. I feel insecure to the point where I do not smile with my mouth wide open. I told my dentist about this. She said she cannot give me braces. What should I do? Is there anything else I can ask my dentist to give me other than braces to close my gap?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You can ask your dentist to make zirconium crowns for that two front teeth like a bridge over it to close the gap. He will reduce your teeth little bit from all sides and will take an impression first and give a temporary crown for a few days. Later, when the crown i...  Read Full



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Periodontist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.