Q. I have toothache even after applying fluoride varnish? Why does this happen?

Dr. Subha
Published on Jul 06, 2014 and last reviewed on: Sep 15, 2018

I had gone to a dentist. He applied fluoride varnish paste on my teeth saying that the cavities are very small. But my teeth are still paining. What to do?

Dr. Subha

Dentistry
#

Dental varnish contains fluoride which is anticarious and hence prevents the progression of tooth decay.

Pit caries are very minute and very minimal cavities that are superficially present on the teeth. Pit caries does not require fillings because to do the filling, a little bit of normal tooth structure has to be drilled. So, varnish is preferable in very small cavities like yours.

Rarely, small pit caries seen clinically might have progressed deeply (in a triangular pattern with apex seen outside but broad base deep inside the tooth). Yours might be of this type and hence causing pain.

What treatment will help sensitive tooth?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having sensitivity in the upper right tooth. There is no ditch or cavity but I feel the sensitivity while eating sweets. What could be the treatment option for it?  Read Full >>

Dr. Tooba Qazi
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sometimes any cavity or decay is not seen clinically but there can be some infection or carious activity going on inside the tooth that can be detected in X-ray or on examination. Considering the symptoms following could be the treatment options. Filling of the tooth if...  Read Full

Tooth Sensitivity - Causes, Treatment and Home remedies

Article Overview: The sensitivity of tooth is one of the most common dental problems that each one of us faces at some stage of our life. This article deals with the causes, treatments, home remedies, and preventive measures to deal with teeth sensitivity. Read Article

Dr. Honey Arora
Dentist

Tooth Sensitivity, termed as dentinal hypersensitivity, causes short lasting sharp pain in a single tooth or multiple teeth. It occurs when teeth come in contact with hot, cold, sweet, and acidic foods or due to exposure of teeth to air. Important Points Teeth sensitivity can cause serious disco...  Read Article