Q. I have toothache even after applying fluoride varnish? Why does this happen?

Dr. Subha
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 06, 2014 and last reviewed on: Sep 15, 2018

I had gone to a dentist. He applied fluoride varnish paste on my teeth saying that the cavities are very small. But my teeth are still paining. What to do?

Dr. Subha

Dentistry
#

Dental varnish contains fluoride which is anticarious and hence prevents the progression of tooth decay.

Pit caries are very minute and very minimal cavities that are superficially present on the teeth. Pit caries does not require fillings because to do the filling, a little bit of normal tooth structure has to be drilled. So, varnish is preferable in very small cavities like yours.

Rarely, small pit caries seen clinically might have progressed deeply (in a triangular pattern with apex seen outside but broad base deep inside the tooth). Yours might be of this type and hence causing pain.

|