Q. My 9 months old baby is addicted to thumb sucking. How to break the habit?

Dr. Sajeev Kumar
Published on Oct 23, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 25, 2019

My 9 months old baby boy is addicted to thumb sucking while sleeping and other time also. What to do to break the habit of thumb sucking?

Dr. Sajeev Kumar

Child Health Paediatrics
#

The habit of thumb sucking by the babies is related to probably lack of breastfeeding, and sometimes it is seen as habitual sucking. It is reported to be due to a lack of care and insecurity are also the reasons.

You can gently remove his thumb whenever you see and when he can understand, you can tell him that it is a bad habit. You need not worry as most of the children grow out of this habit by themselves if left alone.

Is it normal for a newborn to pass loose stool during or immediately after breastfeeding?

Query: Hello doctor, My new born baby passes loose stools during breastfeeding or just after breastfeeding for the past three to four days. Sometimes it is very small amount. But he passes stool daily for about 10-15 times. Sometimes it is in the form of foam. Yesterday onwards, I am giving him probiotic....  Read Full >>

Dr. Vijaykumar Mundeshi
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Newborn babies may pass stools immediately after feeding. This is a normal reflex. If your baby is passing stools quite often and is feeding well, has got sleep after feed and passes enough urine, i.e., six to eight times in a day and gaining weight, then you need n...  Read Full

Positive Thoughts for a Healthy Pregnancy

Article Overview: Pregnancy is a time when the whole family feels elated. But, for the mother, it is a time when she witnesses many changes taking place inside, both physically and mentally. So, it is easy to feel overwhelmed. Let us read some tips to stay positive during pregnancy. Read Article

Dr. Indhupriyadharshini

Pregnancy is the most beautiful feeling in the world, but it also brings with it a lot of confusions and questions. Here, we have some tips to deal with this period of mixed emotions. Scientifically, there are two types of changes in pregnancy. They are - Physical changes. Mental changes. Ph...  Read Article

How to fix the gap between the front teeth?

Query: Hi doctor, I was looking into veneers and invisalign to fix the gap between my front teeth. I am not sure what would fix them. So, I am looking for some initial advice. I have attached a picture for you to view. Thank you.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and attached photograph (attachment removed to protect patient identity). First of all, let me know you that the space between upper front teeth, which you are having, is called midline diastema. It can occur due to many reasons like abnorma...  Read Full