Q. My 9 months old baby is addicted to thumb sucking. How to break the habit?

Dr. Sajeev Kumar
Published on Oct 23, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 25, 2019

My 9 months old baby boy is addicted to thumb sucking while sleeping and other time also. What to do to break the habit of thumb sucking?

Dr. Sajeev Kumar

Child Health Paediatrics
#

The habit of thumb sucking by the babies is related to probably lack of breastfeeding, and sometimes it is seen as habitual sucking. It is reported to be due to a lack of care and insecurity are also the reasons.

You can gently remove his thumb whenever you see and when he can understand, you can tell him that it is a bad habit. You need not worry as most of the children grow out of this habit by themselves if left alone.

| 

How to fix the gap between the front teeth?

Query: Hi doctor, I was looking into veneers and invisalign to fix the gap between my front teeth. I am not sure what would fix them. So, I am looking for some initial advice. I have attached a picture for you to view. Thank you.  Read Full »

Nervous Habits in Children: Homeopathic Approach

Article Overview: Nail biting, thumb sucking, nose picking, hair twirling, pulling hair and grinding teeth are some nervous habits commonly present in children. These are caused by a mental disorder. This article focuses on the homeopathy approach to the same. Read Article

Dr. Potnuru Srinivaasa Sudhakar
Homeopathic Physician

1. Nail Biting The other name for nail biting is onychophagia. Those who feel a compulsion to bite nails and fingertips can vary in severity from mild and occasional to persistent nail biting. Severe nail biting is a long-term problem which causes nail deformity and infections around the nailbed. ...  Read Article

Is it normal for a newborn to pass loose stool during or immediately after breastfeeding?

Query: Hello doctor, My new born baby passes loose stools during breastfeeding or just after breastfeeding for the past three to four days. Sometimes it is very small amount. But he passes stool daily for about 10-15 times. Sometimes it is in the form of foam. Yesterday onwards, I am giving him probiotic....  Read Full »