Q. My newborn passes loose stool during or immediately after breastfeeding. Is this condition normal?

Dr. Vijaykumar Mundeshi
Published on Oct 13, 2019

My new born baby passes loose stools during breastfeeding or just after breastfeeding for the past three to four days. Sometimes it is very small amount. But he passes stool daily for about 10-15 times. Sometimes it is in the form of foam. Yesterday onwards, I am giving him probiotic. But still no improvement. He is suffering from blocked nose also. What to do for his condition?

Dr. Vijaykumar Mundeshi

Child Health Paediatrics
#

Newborn babies may pass stools immediately after feeding. This is a normal reflex.

If your baby is passing stools quite often and is feeding well, has got sleep after feed and passes enough urine, i.e., six to eight times in a day and gaining weight, then you need not worry.

For the blocked nose, you may clean frequently or use saline drops.

Probiotics are usually not of much help in this age group; breastfeeding is recommended.

If the baby has a fever or poor feeding or a large number of stools or less urine or weight loss, anytime you feel baby is lethargic or looks sick, please consult your pediatrician.

| 

While breastfeeding, can I get my damaged tooth out?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a 4-month-baby boy. I am doing breastfeeding. My tooth is entirely damaged. So I am planning to remove my tooth. Is it correct or not? I am taking medicine for it. Please tell me a suggestion.  Read Full »

Positive Thoughts for a Healthy Pregnancy

Article Overview: Pregnancy is a time when the whole family feels elated. But, for the mother, it is a time when she witnesses many changes taking place inside, both physically and mentally. So, it is easy to feel overwhelmed. Let us read some tips to stay positive during pregnancy. Read Article

Dr. Indhupriyadharshini

Pregnancy is the most beautiful feeling in the world, but it also brings with it a lot of confusions and questions. Here, we have some tips to deal with this period of mixed emotions. Scientifically, there are two types of changes in pregnancy. They are - Physical changes. Mental changes. Ph...  Read Article

Which brand of formula milk is good for baby constipation?

Query: Hi doctor, My 2 months old baby is on Dexolac Premium from 1 month. The growth is good, but he is constipated. Can I switch to Nan Pro or kindly advise any other good brand.  Read Full »