Q. My newborn passes loose stool during or immediately after breastfeeding. Is this condition normal?

Dr. Vijaykumar Mundeshi
Published on Oct 13, 2019

My new born baby passes loose stools during breastfeeding or just after breastfeeding for the past three to four days. Sometimes it is very small amount. But he passes stool daily for about 10-15 times. Sometimes it is in the form of foam. Yesterday onwards, I am giving him probiotic. But still no improvement. He is suffering from blocked nose also. What to do for his condition?

Dr. Vijaykumar Mundeshi

Child Health Paediatrics
#

Newborn babies may pass stools immediately after feeding. This is a normal reflex.

If your baby is passing stools quite often and is feeding well, has got sleep after feed and passes enough urine, i.e., six to eight times in a day and gaining weight, then you need not worry.

For the blocked nose, you may clean frequently or use saline drops.

Probiotics are usually not of much help in this age group; breastfeeding is recommended.

If the baby has a fever or poor feeding or a large number of stools or less urine or weight loss, anytime you feel baby is lethargic or looks sick, please consult your pediatrician.

Benefits of Breastfeeding and a Few Tips to New Mothers

Article Overview: There are so many misconceptions about breastfeeding, so here are some tips for the new mothers.  Read Article

Dr. Krutika Ingle Karandikar
Lactation Counselor

Breastfeeding is the most beautiful thing for the mother and the baby in humans, just as for all mammals. There are so many misconceptions about breastfeeding and always a new mother will be in a confused state regarding breastfeeding. Here are some tips for the new mothers. When Should One St...  Read Article

Difficulties Faced by a New Mom

Article Overview: A woman when becomes a mother for the first time, she has a lot of confusions and worries. This article is aimed to make mom worry-free. Read Article

Dr. Sheetal R Bhanushali
Paediatrician

There are many questions usually running in the mind of a new mom. The most common worries are: Why is the infant crying? Why he/she is not sleeping? Why do not I understand what the baby wants to say? What to eat and what not to eat? These are all common problems, and you do not need to wo...  Read Article

Which brand of formula milk is good for baby constipation?

Query: Hi doctor, My 2 months old baby is on Dexolac Premium from 1 month. The growth is good, but he is constipated. Can I switch to Nan Pro or kindly advise any other good brand.  Read Full >>

Dr. Deepak Patel
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concerns. If child is constipated on Dexolac premium, then you can switch to Nan Pro 1, lactogen 1 or similar advance. All are equally good. Nan Pro 1 is more preferred.  Read Full