Q. My newborn passes loose stool during or immediately after breastfeeding. Is this condition normal?

Dr. Vijaykumar Mundeshi

My new born baby passes loose stools during breastfeeding or just after breastfeeding for the past three to four days. Sometimes it is very small amount. But he passes stool daily for about 10-15 times. Sometimes it is in the form of foam. Yesterday onwards, I am giving him probiotic. But still no improvement. He is suffering from blocked nose also. What to do for his condition?

#

Newborn babies may pass stools immediately after feeding. This is a normal reflex.

If your baby is passing stools quite often and is feeding well, has got sleep after feed and passes enough urine, i.e., six to eight times in a day and gaining weight, then you need not worry.

For the blocked nose, you may clean frequently or use saline drops.

Probiotics are usually not of much help in this age group; breastfeeding is recommended.

If the baby has a fever or poor feeding or a large number of stools or less urine or weight loss, anytime you feel baby is lethargic or looks sick, please consult your pediatrician.

|