Q. My 20 year old son has gained 18 kg weight in two years. Will there be a thyroid dysfunction?

Dr. Archana
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 28, 2019 and last reviewed on: Aug 31, 2019

My son is of 20 years old. He has gained 18 kg in last two years. Now he weighs 91 kg and height 5'10". We had a blood test, and T3 and T4 are normal. TSH is 0.692. Is there a problem with his thyroid function?

Dr. Archana

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) levels should be 0.5 to 5 depending on which international unit is used. Kindly check with your lab, whether that is normal for the age. Usually, they will give you a printed report only if it falls within the range, then no need to worry. His BMI (body mass index) is more compared to his height and weight.

He needs to reduce his weight to minimum 80 only for his height. Kindly ask him to join a gym or any training programs or yoga. Do some dieting and breathing exercise. Ask him to walk for 30 minutes a day, especially brisk walk. The diet should be strict with no fat, more fruits, and vegetables. I hope this info helps you sort out your problems.

| 

Is there any ayurvedic weight gain supplement?

Query: Hello doctor, I want to gain weight. Is there any ayurvedic weight gain supplement? Can I take Nutrigain? Please help me,  Read Full »

How to confirm the reason for my abortion?

Query: Hi doctor, I had some hormonal imbalance problem. I had my last periods two months back. I became pregnant and took an hCG test. It was 121 and I took viability scan at 7.6 weeks. The heart rate was 92 bpm, which is less compared to one week. So, doctor suggested me to repeat a scan after two weeks....  Read Full »

Can medicines cause sudden weight gain during pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is 28 weeks pregnant. I am having doubts regarding medication which she is taking. Our consultant prescribed the following three medicines from first week of her pregnancy. Tablet Promocal (calcium, vitamin D3 and magnesium). Tablet Ferofer (Sodium feredetate with vitamins and ...  Read Full »

Ask a Family Physician Now