Q. My 20 year old son has gained 18 kg weight in two years. Will there be a thyroid dysfunction?

Dr. Archana
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Aug 28, 2019 and last reviewed on: Aug 31, 2019

My son is of 20 years old. He has gained 18 kg in last two years. Now he weighs 91 kg and height 5'10". We had a blood test, and T3 and T4 are normal. TSH is 0.692. Is there a problem with his thyroid function?

Dr. Archana

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) levels should be 0.5 to 5 depending on which international unit is used. Kindly check with your lab, whether that is normal for the age. Usually, they will give you a printed report only if it falls within the range, then no need to worry. His BMI (body mass index) is more compared to his height and weight.

He needs to reduce his weight to minimum 80 only for his height. Kindly ask him to join a gym or any training programs or yoga. Do some dieting and breathing exercise. Ask him to walk for 30 minutes a day, especially brisk walk. The diet should be strict with no fat, more fruits, and vegetables. I hope this info helps you sort out your problems.

Is there any ayurvedic weight gain supplement?

Query: Hello doctor, I want to gain weight. Is there any ayurvedic weight gain supplement? Can I take Nutrigain? Please help me,  Read Full >>

Dr. Ishwar Chandra Rai

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Nutrigain is a herbal product, you can use it to gain weight. Weight gain or loss depends on your appetite. If your appetite is not good, then whatever you eat, it will never increase your weight. Yoga and exercise can regulate your metabolism and it will be able to incre...  Read Full

How to confirm the reason for my abortion?

Query: Hi doctor, I had some hormonal imbalance problem. I had my last periods two months back. I became pregnant and took an hCG test. It was 121 and I took viability scan at 7.6 weeks. The heart rate was 92 bpm, which is less compared to one week. So, doctor suggested me to repeat a scan after two weeks....  Read Full >>

Dr. Bharat Patodiya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your ovarian reserve appears to be good. Recurrent abortion needs evaluation for the following. Parental karyotype abnormality, uterine abnormalities, antiphospholipid syndrome, immunologic dysfunction, thyroid dysfunction, diabetes mellitus, polycystic ovary ...  Read Full

Can medicines cause sudden weight gain during pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is 28 weeks pregnant. I am having doubts regarding medication which she is taking. Our consultant prescribed the following three medicines from first week of her pregnancy. Tablet Promocal (calcium, vitamin D3 and magnesium). Tablet Ferofer (Sodium feredetate with vitamins and ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Purushottam Sah

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read and understood your problem. The increase in weight may be due to difference in clothing or other things, but if it is true increase then water is accumulating in her body. Does she have swelling of feet? Under such a condition, salt intake is restricted. Her...  Read Full

Ask a Family Physician Now