Q. My 20 year old son has gained 18 kg weight in two years. Will there be a thyroid dysfunction?

Dr. Archana
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 28, 2019 and last reviewed on: Aug 31, 2019

My son is of 20 years old. He has gained 18 kg in last two years. Now he weighs 91 kg and height 5'10". We had a blood test, and T3 and T4 are normal. TSH is 0.692. Is there a problem with his thyroid function?

#

TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) levels should be 0.5 to 5 depending on which international unit is used. Kindly check with your lab, whether that is normal for the age. Usually, they will give you a printed report only if it falls within the range, then no need to worry. His BMI (body mass index) is more compared to his height and weight.

He needs to reduce his weight to minimum 80 only for his height. Kindly ask him to join a gym or any training programs or yoga. Do some dieting and breathing exercise. Ask him to walk for 30 minutes a day, especially brisk walk. The diet should be strict with no fat, more fruits, and vegetables. I hope this info helps you sort out your problems.

|