Q. Ultrasound of thyroid suggests diffuse thyroid enlargement with small nodules. What does it mean?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

I went for an ultrasound for my thyroid and the result is diffuse thyroid enlargement with small solid nodules consider adenomatous thyroid hyperplasia.

My T3 result is 2.59, T4 135.4 and TSH 17.34, this result was taken before two months. After a month, I took T3, and T4 again resulting in T3 2.52 and T4 95.59. The last clinic gave me a food supplement black cumin seeds oil and vitamin D3.

My question now is what does the ultrasound mean? Anyway, I am a male of 39 years old.

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

I just read your query and from what you have mentioned it appears that you had enlarged thyroid gland due to hyperthyroidism and the ultrasound also meant that the thyroid gland was enlarged simply because it was hyperfunctioning. And now that you are on medications which can possibly help them with normalization of their function and they might as well likely reduce the size of the gland as well.

| 

What medication will you recommend for my condition?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

You will have to continue the same medication Methimazole 5 mg once daily and Propranolol 20 mg as before. Repeat your thyroid function test after again TSH included after six weeks and then we will review again.

| 

Ask an Endocrinologist Now