Q. I have two lumps in my throat. Does the ultrasound of my thyroid indicate a potential malignancy?

Dr. Vivek Chail
This is a premium question & answer published on May 11, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 14, 2021

I felt two lumps in my throat next to my thyroid, so I was sent for thyroid and lymph node ultrasound. For over a year, my symptoms like fatigue, sweating, lack of concentration, etc., have been slowly getting worse. Can you please review my reports and give me your opinion on it? Is there any indication of a potential malignancy? I am attaching my reports.

#

I have seen your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• There is a dark area in the right lobe of the thyroid, which is of concern to me.
  • Usually, thyroid nodules are of different types, and cancer cannot be always predicted from an ultrasound scan. The nodule which you have is not well defined.
  • A cancer risk can be calculated from the cell types in the FNAC (fine needle aspiration cytology), which is a needle test. It is recommended to get a FNAC done from the nodule in the right lobe of thyroid and then depending on the report, I will suggest another thyroid ultrasound scan.
  • If FNAC findings are benign then usually, a three-year annual follow-up ultrasound scan for thyroid nodules is recommended.

For more information consult a radiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/radiologist

Thank you for the reply. I just have a few follow-up questions. Are you saying that the dark area on the right lobe is definitely a nodule? What did you mean by 'the nodule is not well defined'? There is an enlarged lymph node like lump just right of the right lobe that I can feel in my neck. Can you also see that on the images or is that the nodule you are referring to? Are there any other visible enlarged lymph nodes in the images?

#

Thanks for writing back with an update.

• Yes, the dark area in the right lobe is the nodule that I am referring to and the margins are not sharp to call it well defined. There are also smaller nodules which are tiny.
  • There is a lymph node-like structure anterior to the right internal jugular vein, which is small in size. I am unable to exactly measure it on the image. There are no large lymph nodes as such in the images sent.

For further queries consult a radiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/radiologist

|