Thyroid Nodules

Is it possible to treat my left side thyroid enlargement without removal?

Query: Hello doctor,The right side of my thyroid was removed two years back due to enlargement. After removal, testing was done, and no cancer was detected. My remaining left side has always been slightly enlarged, but it becomes slightly bigger over the past month, and when pressure is applied, there is a...  Read Full »

Dr. Sugreev Singh

Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you mentioned, it is increasing in size, so in that case, you should do your thyroid function test and USG (ultrasound) examination of that remaining part. If it is normal swelling, then it can be treated with medicines. Otherwise, the remaining part also has to b...  Read Full »

Can you please explain my thyroid ultrasound results to me in detail, please?

Query: I have 2 thyroid ultrasounds 2 weeks apart. The first one says tr5 the newer one says tr4. Why is there a discrepancy?  Read Full »

Dr. Nagaraj Patil

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician, Diabetologist

Answer: Dear. Tr are scoring system adapted to report the findings of ultrasound of the thyroid. Appearance, size of the nodule in thyroid gland can change over period of time which is captured in the report. Rather I would say it is not discrepancy but change in size of the thyroid nodule. You have not gi...  Read Full »

What is adenomatous thyroid hyperplasia?

Query: Hi doctor, I went for an ultrasound for my thyroid and the result is diffuse thyroid enlargement with small solid nodules consider adenomatous thyroid hyperplasia. My T3 result is 2.59, T4 135.4 and TSH 17.34, this result was taken before two months. After a month, I took T3, and T4 again result...  Read Full »

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query and from what you have mentioned it appears that you had enlarged thyroid gland due to hyperthyroidism and the ultrasound also meant that the thyroid gland was enlarged simply because it was hyperfunctioning. And now that you are on medication...  Read Full »

How is thyroid cancer diagnosed?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 41 year old male. My recent ultrasound of thyroid revealed multiple bilateral ganglion formation in area IV. The most prominent was 11 x 8 mm diameter in lower right cervical area. It was mentioned homogeneous thyroid. My doctor suggests clinical follow up due to the number of gang...  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Homogeneous thyroid usually suggests that gland is uniform in consistency meaning it is mostly benign. Thyroid nodules are fairly common; more so in women and the majority up to 95 % are benign. If you do not have major risk factors for thyroid cancer such as past exposur...  Read Full »

Is thyroidectomy recommended for inconclusive thyroid cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, A year ago, I got a biopsy for two nodules in thyroid. The result for one was benign and the other inconclusive. This year I went back to a different doctor to redo my indeterminate biopsy. She advised me do for both again, because through ultrasound they look angry or vicious. In my righ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. In this situation the most important fact would be to know whether there is a family history of thyroid cancer and which type. Not all thyroid cancers are the same; some are more aggressive that the others. Sorry, I was still trying to understand if the nodules are in ...  Read Full »

What symptoms can thyroid nodule exhibit?

Query: Hello doctor, I am trying to find out what the following images show (images attached). Are there nodules? If so, how many and what size? What types of nodules do you see? What are the chances of the nodule being benign (maybe a colloid)? What characteristics do the nodules show hypo or hyperechoic...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Radiodiagnosis Physician, Radiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the images. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There is a larger nodule in the left lobe and a tiny one in the right lobe of thyroid. The left thyroid nodule measures 14 x 19 mm and is isoechoic and solid areas and shows peripheral vasculari...  Read Full »

My wife had benign thyroid nodule and now it shows some changes in the scan. Kindly give second opinion.

Query: Hello doctor, My wife got scanned her thyroid by a novice user just for training purposes. She has been scanned in the hospital before, as part of an assessment of an autoinflammatory disease. At this time, they found a thyroid nodule (~12 mm) but no further investigation, as it seemed benign. Now,...  Read Full »

Dr. Padmesh Jain

General Practitioner, Radiodiagnosis Physician, Radiologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. According to the american college of radiology thyroid imaging reporting and data systems (TIRADS), the nodule falls under category TR4, which defines it as moderately suspicious. However, as you mentioned, there is a change in morphology with the development of micr...  Read Full »

I had a cough for six months, and now I have the feeling of something in my throat. What could it be?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a cough for six months, and now I have the feeling of something in my throat. I had a sinus X-ray, lungs checked, checked for asthma, swallow test done, and thyroids checked (I have a tiny nodule, in which the doctor said that would not make me cough). Do you have any suggestion...  Read Full »

Dr. Ohams Henry

General Practitioner, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The cough you say is it dry or sputum? Are you losing weight? Is there any drenching night sweat and persistent low-grade fever? Is there any history of contact with someone with a chronic cough in your locality? Do you smoke, is your occupation such that you are...  Read Full »

My thyroids are enlarged and asymmetrical. Should I visit an endocrinologist?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 32 year old woman, who in the last six months began to experience thyroid symptoms. I am in the process of looking for a new physician, but I live in a very remote area with a significant shortage of medical professionals, so I am in a lot of ways on my own here. My mother had h...  Read Full »

Dr. Swaraj S W

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks a lot for such a detailed history, it makes my job easier. I would want to know what was the result of the biopsy or FNAC (fine needle aspiration cytology). Based on that, I shall be in a better position to tell you the next step. Your thyroid is functioning to i...  Read Full »

Is there a natural way to reduce the chance of surgery for thyroid nodules?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 41 year old male. My weight is 89 kg and height is 6 feet. I have nodules in the thyroid gland since last two years. Initially, it started as a feeling of imbalance in the head about two years back. The initial assumption was vertigo and later it was found to be a small nodule i...  Read Full »

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pain Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com.  Basically, your scan reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) are showing that you have thyroiditis (inflammation of the thyroid gland) along with a nodule in the thyroid gland. Because of this problem you are having the symptoms. Initially, you had hype...  Read Full »