Q. Am I taking the right dosage of Eltroxin as per my reports?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 29, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am 33 years of age. Since four years, I am taking Eltroxin thyroid medicine. For one week I stopped taking medicine. Then I did a thyroid test. At that time, my TSH levels came above the normal levels. I then took a dose of 100 mcg for a month. I again checked my TSH levels. It came to 1.01 mu/L (reference range 0.45 to 4.65). Please suggest me what dose of Eltroxin I should take. I am attaching my report for further reference.

#

I just read your query and went through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• From what you have mentioned, it appears that you have hypothyroidism. I saw your results, and I would recommend that you take 75 mcg Eltroxin (Levothyroxine) daily. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines with their consent.
  • You must keep repeating your thyroid function test every three months initially and then every six months, once it stabilizes.

Hope you find my advice beneficial. Good luck.

For more information consult an endocrinologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

From the last five years, I am taking a dose of 125 mcg without doing any test. Actually, I feel tremors and lethargy all the time. So, I decided to consult a doctor. My question is, does this medicine affect the brain? I ask as I feel a sense of depression and lethargy. Help me. What should I do?

#

• I would like to tell you that Eltroxin (Levothyroxine) does not cause any problems with your brain even if you were taking a dose of 125 mcg without any tests.
  • Actually, old school doctors never rechecked their thyroid patients like now. Now, we prefer the lowest dose with a normal test result as far as it is possible.
  • It will not cause any problems whatsoever, just bone weakness, for which you must take Calcium 500 mg supplements and Vitamin D tablets 5000 IU daily at lunchtime and spaced at least four hours away from Eltroxin.
  • Yes, this dose will help you feel better and calm.

So relax. You are doing the right thing. Good luck.

|