Q. My anus and the surrounding crack remains lighter with itching. How to treat?

Dr. Dhepe Snehal Laul
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana

My anus and the surrounding crack are substantially lighter than the rest of my skin. It makes me think of vitiligo with the way it looks. But I have no idea about what it is. I have no idea how long it has been like this as I typically never looked at the said region. I only noticed it about a week ago. However, I always wipe my crack multiple times a day to keep it clean and dry. I always found it a little itchy as well but I never thought it was overly so. This is especially embarrassing as my new girlfriend wants to get active in that area and I have no clue what it is. Also, I have never shaved this region until about a week ago. So it cannot be caused by that. I am a 24-year-old male, active at the gym 5 days a week (mostly weightlifting). I apologize in advance for the photos. I use Fluocinonide (topical) for scalp psoriasis flare-up which was discovered after cutting off 8 years of hair growth. I barely use the medication now as it is no longer needed and the scalp psoriasis is gone.

#

It is a fungal infection called Tinea corporis (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Apply 1 percent Luliconazole cream twice daily in the morning and night for 4 weeks. Avoid scratching and rubbing of lesions. Take tablet Levocetirizine 5 mg at night after food for 7 days (if itching). Clean area with Episoft cleanser or no soap cleanser daily. Maintain proper genital hygiene. Avoid sex until the lesion clears up. Use Miconazole cream (Micogel) in the evening for 3 weeks. Regards.

Thank you so much. How long does it take to clear up? I am hoping to see a change within 2 weeks. Tomorrow I will start taking the medicines you recommended.

#

It will take up to 4 to 6 weeks to clear up if proper medication and precautions are taken. Start with the above-mentioned medications. Avoid occlusive wear. Wear loose comfortable thin cotton inners. Avoid friction. Avoid heavy exercise which causes sweating for few weeks. Maintain proper genital hygiene. Avoid sex as it is contagious. Do you have increased blood sugar levels or burning or pain or fever? Do you rule out possible STI? Does STI workup has done?

|