iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersDentistrytobaccoI have a grey-looking skin flap under my tongue on the right side, and I use tobacco. Are these related?

Can tobacco be the cause of the grey-looking skin flap under the tongue?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At March 13, 2023
Reviewed AtJanuary 18, 2024

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

I have a grey-looking skin flap under my tongue on the right side. Quite literally, it looks like a small rock hanging off my tongue. I am 23 years old. I do use tobacco.


Welcome to icliniq.com.

You should send a picture of the lesion with the query. You did not even mention that you have any pain or discomfort.

Unwanted growth and lesion in the tongue is not a good thing. Therefore, you should stop consuming tobacco immediately and see your dentist immediately. Sometimes it may be a ulceration but do not take any chance because your smile matters.

You can follow some instructions,

1. Do proper oral hygiene and brush twice a day.

2. Clean your tongue.

3. Do not take too hot and spicy foods.

4. Take a sufficient amount of water.

Thank you.

The Probable causes

The probable cause is due to any small injury, hot food, or drink.

Investigations to be done

The investigation includes a clinical examination.

Differential diagnosis

The differential diagnosis is ulceration and sialolithiasis.

Probable diagnosis

The probable diagnosis is ulceration.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Gaurav Kumar Pandey
Dr. Gaurav Kumar Pandey


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Read answers about:


Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy