Q. I have a spot on my tongue. Is it something serious?

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray

I have found this spot on my tongue for the past seven months and for the most part, has not really changed. No symptoms, but can sometimes feel the bumps when I run my finger over it. Does this look like it is a frictional problem or something worse? I am guessing friction based on what I have been told before but want to confirm with another opinion.

#

I had gone through your question and understand your concern. As per your photographs (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it does not look like any severe problem. This could be the friction or irritational in nature due to a sharp tooth edge. This lesion only looks like hyperkeratotic and nothing else. So, there is no need to worry about it. Please let me know if there is any sharp tooth edge, also if there is any swelling under your mandible (chin). You can also take high Vitamin A diet like carrot or Vitamin A supplements for at least a month, it will be helpful and the lesion will disappear soon.

Sharp tooth edge or faulty brushing technique.

Traumatic ulcer.

Frictional hyperkeratosis.

Enameloplasty, if there is a sharp tooth edge.

Brushing (modified Bass technique). Use ultrasoft toothbrush.

| 

It makes me feel much better that it does not look bad. Is hyperkeratosis fine? That is not precancerous right? You do not think that a red spot in the middle is the bad kind of red? I do not feel any swelling under my chin, everything feels soft and symmetrical. Will Vitamin A help the spot go away?

#

Yes, this is not a pre-malignant condition or lesion. Yes, Vitamin A supplements will help you to get rid of it. But keep the watch for the next six months and if there is any roughness on the adjacent tooth, it needs smoothening.

|