Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. I have a spot on my tongue. Is it something serious?

Answered by
Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 13, 2019

Hello doctor,

I have found this spot on my tongue for the past seven months and for the most part, has not really changed. No symptoms, but can sometimes feel the bumps when I run my finger over it. Does this look like it is a frictional problem or something worse? I am guessing friction based on what I have been told before but want to confirm with another opinion.



Welcome to

I had gone through your question and understand your concern. As per your photographs (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it does not look like any severe problem. This could be the friction or irritational in nature due to a sharp tooth edge. This lesion only looks like hyperkeratotic and nothing else. So, there is no need to worry about it. Please let me know if there is any sharp tooth edge, also if there is any swelling under your mandible (chin). You can also take high Vitamin A diet like carrot or Vitamin A supplements for at least a month, it will be helpful and the lesion will disappear soon.

The Probable causes:

Sharp tooth edge or faulty brushing technique.

Differential diagnosis:

Traumatic ulcer.

Probable diagnosis:

Frictional hyperkeratosis.

Treatment plan:

Enameloplasty, if there is a sharp tooth edge.

Preventive measures:

Brushing (modified Bass technique). Use ultrasoft toothbrush.

Was this answer helpful?


Thank you doctor,

It makes me feel much better that it does not look bad. Is hyperkeratosis fine? That is not precancerous right? You do not think that a red spot in the middle is the bad kind of red? I do not feel any swelling under my chin, everything feels soft and symmetrical. Will Vitamin A help the spot go away?



Welcome back to

Yes, this is not a pre-malignant condition or lesion. Yes, Vitamin A supplements will help you to get rid of it. But keep the watch for the next six months and if there is any roughness on the adjacent tooth, it needs smoothening.

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
What is that white spot present between my upper and lower wisdom teeth?
I have some burn like injury on my inner cheek. What is it?
How to Treat Dermatosis Neglecta?

This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Why do I have a bump in place of a wisdom tooth?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a kind of bump on the side where my bottom wisdom tooth was. Also, there appears to be a little hole in the area with white stuff on it. It is behind my last bottom tooth where the wisdom tooth was removed years ago. It is sore to touch. I have attached the photo. It is not the whe...  Read Full »

Kindly suggest a treatment for dark arms.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 26 year old female. My upper arms are so dark and I also have some small sand like bums. I noticed this since I was 15 years old. As my skin is quite fair, it looks obvious. Please suggest me some advice.  Read Full »

There is a sore on my tongue which is recurring at the same spot. Is it cancer?

Query: Hi doctor,The lateral edge of my tongue has a sore which is recurring on the same spot from the last six months and it is painless. It gets cured but keeps coming back after some days. I consulted a few ENT doctors. I was given a vitamin tablet, but nothing helped. My uric acid level is 9.2 and ...  Read Full »

Also Read

Can naked body to body massage spread HIV?
Hello doctor, I recently had some business trip during which I had some naked body to body massage wherein massager vag...  Read more»
Are COVID-19 Patients Infectious for up to 90 Days After Recovery?
There have been reports of recovered COVID-19 patients getting reinfected and testing positive for almost 3 months. Read...  Read more»
Crohn's Disease
Crohn's disease causes inflammation of the digestive tract, which results in symptoms like severe diarrhea, stomach pain...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dentist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.