Q. I have a spot on my tongue. Is it something serious?

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray

I have found this spot on my tongue for the past seven months and for the most part, has not really changed. No symptoms, but can sometimes feel the bumps when I run my finger over it. Does this look like it is a frictional problem or something worse? I am guessing friction based on what I have been told before but want to confirm with another opinion.

#

I had gone through your question and understand your concern. As per your photographs (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it does not look like any severe problem. This could be the friction or irritational in nature due to a sharp tooth edge. This lesion only looks like hyperkeratotic and nothing else. So, there is no need to worry about it. Please let me know if there is any sharp tooth edge, also if there is any swelling under your mandible (chin). You can also take high Vitamin A diet like carrot or Vitamin A supplements for at least a month, it will be helpful and the lesion will disappear soon.

Sharp tooth edge or faulty brushing technique.

Traumatic ulcer.

Frictional hyperkeratosis.

Enameloplasty, if there is a sharp tooth edge.

Brushing (modified Bass technique). Use ultrasoft toothbrush.

It makes me feel much better that it does not look bad. Is hyperkeratosis fine? That is not precancerous right? You do not think that a red spot in the middle is the bad kind of red? I do not feel any swelling under my chin, everything feels soft and symmetrical. Will Vitamin A help the spot go away?

#

Yes, this is not a pre-malignant condition or lesion. Yes, Vitamin A supplements will help you to get rid of it. But keep the watch for the next six months and if there is any roughness on the adjacent tooth, it needs smoothening.

| 

Why do I have a bump in place of a wisdom tooth?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a kind of bump on the side where my bottom wisdom tooth was. Also, there appears to be a little hole in the area with white stuff on it. It is behind my last bottom tooth where the wisdom tooth was removed years ago. It is sore to touch. I have attached the photo. It is not the whe...  Read Full »

Kindly suggest a treatment for dark arms.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 26 year old female. My upper arms are so dark and I also have some small sand like bums. I noticed this since I was 15 years old. As my skin is quite fair, it looks obvious. Please suggest me some advice.  Read Full »

There is a sore on my tongue which is recurring at the same spot. Is it cancer?

Query: Hi doctor,The lateral edge of my tongue has a sore which is recurring on the same spot from the last six months and it is painless. It gets cured but keeps coming back after some days. I consulted a few ENT doctors. I was given a vitamin tablet, but nothing helped. My uric acid level is 9.2 and ...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»