Q. Can chewing tobacco reduce mouth opening?

Dr. Ashish Jayanand Chandwadkar

I can barely open my mouth up to three fingers space. Is it bad or normal? I have never noticed this before, only recently I happen to see this. I chew tobacco. Is that causing it? Is it serious?

Dr. Ashish Jayanand Chandwadkar

#

Your problem is very common amongst regular tobacco chewers.

• Tobacco, beetle nuts, etc., especially when mixed with limestone, damages the mouth walls on the sides if it is frequently placed. This frequent injury and healing process forms scar tissue of fibroblasts origin. This contracts the site, making the stretchability of that region less, which is called oral submucous fibrosis.
  • In the long run, the mouth opening gets so narrow that only a single finger can pass through hardly.
  • Continuing to chew tobacco after this may cause oral cancer. So, tobacco is the real culprit to blame for your condition. I recommend you quit the habit of chewing tobacco. Decrease the frequency gradually until you stop it.
  • You can consult your local physician for an oral examination for any lesions in the mouth and get help to quit the habit of tobacco.

I appreciate you got aware, and it is never too late for a new start. So, live an addiction-free life. Take care. Do not worry. You will be fine.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|