Q. My 3-year-old is not speaking properly. Can this be because of tongue tie?

Dr. Syed Tehmid

I want to know that whether my kid has a tongue tie or not. My kid will be 3 years old after two months and he is still not speaking properly other than papa, mama, and OK words.

#

The frenulum is a normal structure. It is only that when it attaches close to the tip, it causes problems with tongue rolling. Ask your child to protrude the tongue. If it causes buckling of the tip, it is tongue tie. And see if he is able to slip undersurface of the tongue tip underneath his upper teeth.

|