Q. I always stammer while speaking. Please guide me.

Dr. Alok Rathi
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 12, 2015 and last reviewed on: Feb 01, 2019

I always stutter or stammer while speaking. Please guide me.

#

Stammering or stuttering is either because of structural or functional aspects. A structural defect is most commonly tongue-tie if you had at birth during your speech development.

Functional aspects are almost always due to stress and decreased self-confidence levels. (unless you got any neurological problem, which is usually not). To check for tongue-tie, try to touch your chin with tongue. If you can reach the beginning of chin, then there is no structural problem.

Thank you doctor.

I have been having this problem for 3 to 4 years. In between, it had stopped, and I could speak easily, but it has again started. I tried the test which you had advised and my tongue easily touches the beginning of the chin. Just guide me how to prevent and cure this problem.

#

Start with playing easy games which you win and increase your level and keep winning. Have more group discussions, first with family than friends and then with unknown new people.

Open up and discuss all your thoughts, listen to others and discuss. Have positive things around you, read a good story, good proverb daily, as motivation and positive attitude will improve your self-confidence which will erase the stammering forever.

Accept if there are any flaws and try to correct them. Be bold and open-minded. All the best.

|