Q. Please see my attachments and advice if I need a tonsillectomy.

Dr. Surabhi Chopra
and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on Sep 27, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 03, 2019

Kindly view my attachments and advice whether I need a tonsillectomy.

Dr. Surabhi Chopra

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

From the pictures you have provided as an attachment, it seems you have rhinitis with a sore throat and a bad cough. To answer your question, I will request you to please provide me with the following details for better accuracy.

1) Age,

2) Symptoms in detail,

3) Duration of illness,

4) Frequency of the illness per year.

Since the acute episode needs to subside first, I will advise you to follow the underwritten treatment.

1) Start on antibiotics if having a fever, a tablet with a combination of Amoxycillin and Clavulanic acid (625 mg) will work well. It is to be taken twice daily after meals.

2) Take antiallergics like tablet Levocetirizine (10 mg) once in the evening.

3) If you are facing a problem of blocked nose, start on nasal decongestant drops like Nasivion nasal drops (Oxymetazoline) two drops in both nostrils every six hours.

4) If having a fever, take tablet Paracetamol (500 mg). Again dose of this tablet is according to age which you have not mentioned.

5) Taking steam inhalation early morning and evening helps a lot. I hope this helps.

My 3.3 year old son has allergic rhinitis. Can I use Budecord inhaler?

Query: Hello doctor, My son is 3.3 years old. Last year, he had three episodes of allergic rhinitis and one episode of allergic conjunctivitis. This year, our pediatrician asked us to get an allergy test done, and he put my son on Momeflo, Nukast 4, and Levolin inhaler. We found out that he is allergic to...  Read Full »

Why do I get sore throat and earache often?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 28 years old. I am suffering from sore throat and earache. I have white spots on the inner right side of my throat. When I eat anything chill, throat will be more painful. From childhood, I am getting the problem for at least once a year. Now, this is the second time in six weeks. Co...  Read Full »

When Should Tonsils Be Removed in Adults?

Article Overview: Tonsils are removed in cases of sleep apnea or recurrent episodes of tonsillitis. Learn about the indications, best methods, and complications of tonsillectomy. Read Article

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Tonsillectomy is one of the most popular operations in the otorhinolaryngology field. The most frequently asked questions about tonsillectomy are: When is tonsillectomy indicated? Does tonsillectomy affect our immunity? What is the best method for tonsillectomy? What are tonsillectomy complications...  Read Article