Q. What causes recurrent tonsillitis?

This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 25, 2019 and last reviewed on: Aug 28, 2019

I am having fever and cold for the past few days. I take medicine Nimsulide Plus. The fever has gone. But the problem is that I am having tonsillitis and it is treated by many doctors but I do not know why but after sometime of treatment they happened to me again. I do not know why. Please help me.

#

The tonsil is at the entrance of your pharynx. So it traps most of the bacteria and viruses. So pharyngitis including tonsilitis could be due to streptococcus like bacteria or influenza like viral infection. The symptomatic management need to be done with decongestant tablet like Phenylephrine or Levocetirizine. Salt water gargle or dilute Betadine gargle is having great effect in relieving sore throat.

Do not take excess spicy foods. Drink more water. If your tonsil remains enlarged then throat swab culture should be done to check for causative organism and treatment accordingly. If needed, you can consult otorhinolaryngologist for detailed posterior pharynx examination.

|