Q. What causes recurrent tonsillitis?

This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 25, 2019 and last reviewed on: Aug 28, 2019

I am having fever and cold for the past few days. I take medicine Nimsulide Plus. The fever has gone. But the problem is that I am having tonsillitis and it is treated by many doctors but I do not know why but after sometime of treatment they happened to me again. I do not know why. Please help me.

#

The tonsil is at the entrance of your pharynx. So it traps most of the bacteria and viruses. So pharyngitis including tonsilitis could be due to streptococcus like bacteria or influenza like viral infection. The symptomatic management need to be done with decongestant tablet like Phenylephrine or Levocetirizine. Salt water gargle or dilute Betadine gargle is having great effect in relieving sore throat.

Do not take excess spicy foods. Drink more water. If your tonsil remains enlarged then throat swab culture should be done to check for causative organism and treatment accordingly. If needed, you can consult otorhinolaryngologist for detailed posterior pharynx examination.

| 

Whenever I cough to clear my throat, why do I get a strange smell?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 32 year old male. I had some cough and cold last month due to drinking chilled beverages. After that, I have had a feeling of throat blockage, and my throat was burning. If I try to cough forcefully to clear the throat, I get a strange smell in my nose. I am taking Telekast L ...  Read Full »

I am suffering from tonsillitis, fever and cough. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 40-year-old male. I have been suffering from tonsillitis and fever for the last five days. I took antibiotics to treat my painful tonsillitis and fever and the antibiotic showed a very bad reaction. I developed skin rashes on my chest and around my nose. Whenever I have anythi...  Read Full »

What does gargling do?

Query: Hi doctor, Does air humidifier help with tonsillitis? How would salt water gargling cure tonsillitis?  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»