Q. I have tonsillitis, and it pains while swallowing and talking. How to ease the pain?

Dr. Sandeep Shrestha
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 12, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 19, 2020

Hello.

I am a student. Just last week, I had tonsilitis. It healed however, a few days after it started again on the right tonsil and actually worsened. Right now, I've been having problem swallowing and talking. I also have this pain in my right ear and can barely sleep at night and I would drool. I would sometimes light up the inside of my throat and see that it's swelling really badly and there are white things on there similar to a puss. I've been treating this with saltwater every day and night and lozenges. I once had a fever because of this as well. This has been happening for already a week now and it's just so hard to swallow. I hope you could give me your opinion on the one and help me how to ease the pain cause it's so damn painful. I really wanna eat normal food already since I've only been having soups and water plus my online class just started and i just can't talk comfortably. Thank you so much!

Dr. Sandeep Shrestha

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

As you are having Acute tonsillitis, you can take following medication:

1)Tab Amoxiclav 625mg po 3 times a day for 7 days 2)Tab paracetamol 500mg ibuprofen 400mg 1tab po 3 times a day for 2 days then When ever you have pain. 3)Tab levocetrizine 5mg po od at night for 7 days 4)Gargle with betadine1% 10 ml 10 ml warm water 3-5 times a day

This will definitely help you. Avoid cold Avoid spicy and oily food Steam inhalation

Hope this will help you Thank you

|