Q. Kindly advise if I should get my tooth extracted.

Dr. Naveen Thomas
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 20, 2016 and last reviewed on: Dec 23, 2021

I had a lump approximately 3 cm away from the bottom of the tooth on the outer portion of the jaw. It was approximately 2 cm in diameter. After cleaning with salt solution, my doctor prescribed Lincomycin 500 capsules thrice daily for five days. As there was swelling on some portions of the bottom jaw, he did not extract the tooth. But, he says that he will extract the tooth as soon as the swelling subsides. He said that there was an infection in the tooth and left the tooth hole open. Subsequently, I consulted my local doctor yesterday evening. While examining and dressing my tooth and pressing the lump, about one tablespoonful of pus got discharged through the upper portion of the tooth hole. This quantity had accumulated during the last five days after the previous dressing. I am worried and nervous over the local doctor's treatment after he has spoiled the tooth by over drilling into the jaw. Due to worry, I am spending sleepless nights. I am also highly underweight and only 40 kg. Based on the above facts, kindly advise whether I continue with the treatment and get the tooth extracted or not.

#

It will help if you ask the dentist to extract the tooth as soon as possible. Due to so much infection and pus, the tooth cannot be saved now. Also, the swelling may not subside without removing that tooth. Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid combination is required for such a strong infection. If the swelling is not reduced even after three days by his medicine, I suggest using Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid 625 mg twice daily for three days, and by then, the swelling will reduce. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her, and take medicine with consent. Then, ask the dentist to extract it. There is no point in saving the tooth now. Eat as much as possible. Your weight is very low, so you need to take lots of fruits, vegetables, and juices. If you are weak, the infection will also take time to go away.

I am likely to visit my local doctor tomorrow evening. Do you like to give any prescription for my sleep problem?

#

• I cannot prescribe any medication for sleep. You need to contact your general physician for the same. Get well soon.

For further information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|