Q. What are the ways to treat black spot in teeth?

Dr. Beryl Fredrick
Published on Jan 21, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jan 23, 2020

Just yesterday I discovered that my front tooth looks a bit black and then I decided to look behind that tooth. I found out that there is a black spot between two teeth behind. And I have not seen it before I was a bit shocked to find that out. I am a student and cannot afford to visit dentist. Can you please consult on how to cure it without pulling out and visiting a dentist?

#

I understand your concern. The most common cause of black spots on tooth is cavity or tooth decay. Unfortunately, there is not any medicines or home remedy that could stop the progression or cure tooth decay. This can only be done by a dental treatment. Tooth has three layers, outer enamel, dentin and innermost never layer. When decay starts in the enamel layer, it does not show any symptoms other than visible black spot on tooth. At this stage, a simple tooth filling can be done. But if left untreated, it progress through dentin and when reaches nerve layer it starts to give out pain. This is when a simple filling cannot be done. A root canal treatment and crown procedure will be the only option to save the tooth in that stage.

I can understand your situation but please visit the dentist and get a simple filling done as soon as possible to save that tooth. Treating at early stage will be a good decision financially. Meanwhile avoid stick and sugary foods and maintain a good oral hygiene to reduce the decay from rapidly progressing. I hope this helps.

| 

What treatment should I take for cavities in teeth?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from cavities since childhood. And have got four teeth removed by the dentist. My age is 25 years old. What suitable treatment should I take for cavities?  Read Full »

Kindly advise a home remedy for tooth decay during pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, I have acid erosion or decay in the back of my bottom front teeth. They are chipping at the gumline. I have a past history of bulimia and although after years I have finally recovered. Long ago, I have had decay in the back row. What is a good home remedy for now that I can use? I am ...  Read Full »

What treatment will help sensitive tooth?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having sensitivity in the upper right tooth. There is no ditch or cavity but I feel the sensitivity while eating sweets. What could be the treatment option for it?  Read Full »