Q. Is it advisable to sleep with gauze in mouth after tooth extraction?

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray
Published on Sep 03, 2019

I got my number 32 extracted at 1:30 PM. It is now 12:40 AM. I am not bleeding a lot but it is still coming out. Any advice? I would like to sleep but would hate to swallow blood in my sleep thus making me sick. Can I sleep with gauze in mouth?

#

I have gone through your question. I can understand your concern.

If the bleeding is still there and you are not able to sleep, change the guaze and wet the another guaze and put it there. If bleeding will not stop you can use a guaze with ice pack. My suggestion is do not be apprehensive, as raised blood pressure is also the cause for bleeding. You can also visit an emergency room for further treatment. The two reasons may be the left root stem and high blood pressure provided you do not have any underlying blood disorder. Yes do not sleep with guaze as it may obstruct your airway and can be fatal too.

I am bleeding, four hours after a tooth extraction. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor,About four hours ago, I had a tooth removed. It has started to bleed again, and I rinsed my mouth with water. I read online that you should not do that. My gum is really hurting. Am I going to be fine?  Read Full >>

Dr. Honey Arora
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Slight bleeding from the site of extraction is normal within 24 hours of extraction. But if bleeding is severe, you should immediately consult a dentist or go to an emergency room. As of now, you should bite on a sterile piece of gauze and apply gentle pressure, so that b...  Read Full

Dry Socket - A Post Extraction Complication

Article Overview: Dry socket is the most common complication that occurs post tooth extraction. This article discusses its causes, symptoms and treatment. Read Article

What is a Dry Socket? Dry socket is a painful dental condition that occurs after permanent tooth extraction, if not taken proper care of the extraction socket, it will lead to dislodgement of blood clot from the extraction socket. Why does a Dry Socket Occur? If post extraction instructions are...  Read Article