Q. I am bleeding, four hours after a tooth extraction. What to do?

Dr. Honey Arora
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 07, 2017 and last reviewed on: Apr 16, 2019

About four hours ago, I had a tooth removed. It has started to bleed again, and I rinsed my mouth with water. I read online that you should not do that. My gum is really hurting. Am I going to be fine?

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentistry Oral Implantologist
#

• Slight bleeding from the site of extraction is normal within 24 hours of extraction. But if bleeding is severe, you should immediately consult a dentist or go to an emergency room.
  • As of now, you should bite on a sterile piece of gauze and apply gentle pressure, so that bleeding gets arrested.

Hope this information helps. Regards.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

| 

How can we stop excessive bleeding from tooth extraction site?

Query: Hi doctor, It has been eight hours now. I have extracted three teeth at the same time. There is excessive bleeding from the extracted site. Is this deadly?  Read Full »

What can be done for spongy bleeding gums in a diabetic?

Query: Hello doctor, My parents are diabetic and living in a village where non-treated water is consumed daily for everything other than drinking which is rich in minerals, algal blooms, dirt, etc. Suggest me a toothpaste which is better considering this kind of locality. Their gums are bleeding and exper...  Read Full »

I got a wisdom tooth extracted five days back, why is it still bleeding?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a wisdom tooth removed five days back. It was bleeding heavily until two days ago, but now the bleeding has mostly gone. But, it bleeds when I brush my teeth. Is there anything to do other than to put padded pressure on the void of the tooth?  Read Full »