Q. I am bleeding, four hours after a tooth extraction. What to do?

Dr. Honey Arora
Published on Oct 07, 2017 and last reviewed on: Apr 16, 2019

About four hours ago, I had a tooth removed. It has started to bleed again, and I rinsed my mouth with water. I read online that you should not do that. My gum is really hurting. Am I going to be fine?

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentistry Oral Implantologist
#

• Slight bleeding from the site of extraction is normal within 24 hours of extraction. But if bleeding is severe, you should immediately consult a dentist or go to an emergency room.
  • As of now, you should bite on a sterile piece of gauze and apply gentle pressure, so that bleeding gets arrested.

Hope this information helps. Regards.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

How can we stop excessive bleeding from tooth extraction site?

Query: Hi doctor, It has been eight hours now. I have extracted three teeth at the same time. There is excessive bleeding from the extracted site. Is this deadly?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Drink a lot of water and follow the medication prescribed by the dentist. You can use ice in the extracted site to stop the bleeding. If it still continues to bleed, consult your dentist. If it stops, then from the next day, rinse mouth with salt water and turmeric mixt...  Read Full

What can be done for spongy bleeding gums in a diabetic?

Query: Hello doctor, My parents are diabetic and living in a village where non-treated water is consumed daily for everything other than drinking which is rich in minerals, algal blooms, dirt, etc. Suggest me a toothpaste which is better considering this kind of locality. Their gums are bleeding and exper...  Read Full >>

Dr. Suneetha B S
Diabetologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.om. Frankly speaking, toothpaste is just an external application, and it does not make any difference based on the brand. Toothpaste does not have any therapeutic effects as portrayed in advertisements. When you say they have spongy gums that bleed easily, it might be an...  Read Full

I got a wisdom tooth extracted five days back, why is it still bleeding?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a wisdom tooth removed five days back. It was bleeding heavily until two days ago, but now the bleeding has mostly gone. But, it bleeds when I brush my teeth. Is there anything to do other than to put padded pressure on the void of the tooth?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and can understand your concern. Here, I assume that you do not have any bleeding disorder. It seems initial blood clot after the extraction was dislodged due to some reason and the bleeding continued. Yes, putting padded pressure on the socket is the ...  Read Full