Q. Will mixture of Trisodium phosphate and baking soda with water help in regeneration of teeth?

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam

A guy on youtube has videos of how he regenerated his teeth by mixing Trisodium phosphate with baking soda and water. He says he spits out mixture and not to swallow. Is this even possible or safe especially since dental work is so expensive?

#

I appreciate you for such an interesting question on dental health.

Talking about the two chemical components separately. Baking soda is found to be a great alternative in whitening the teeth as it has mild abrasive quality. It is also found that baking soda has seven on the RDA scale (radioactive dentin abrasion) compared to the regular toothpastes which ranges 200-300. Just a sprinkle of it on the toothpaste in your regular brushing helps in whitening the teeth. But this is not proved on the papers by research.

Coming to Trisodium phosphate, it is one of the ingredients present in less percentage in the toothpastes which is chemically basic and removes stains. But it is a commercial agent used as degreaser and stain remover otherwise.

The problem using these chemicals in dental cleaning is that you will not be sure how much percentage of the active chemical components you expose on the tooth surfaces in the DIY (do it yourself) project. These might see effective but lack of studies and research making it unsuitable for daily usage. No standardization, therefore not used as commonly as a toothpaste. Also, continuous and prolonged exposure of these on the teeth might end up in roughness of the enamel and a hence weaker teeth.

| 

I have GERD and feel a lump under Adam's apple. Is it serious?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 32 years old. I have GERD since a few years as the doctor told me after a diagnosis where he took the camera inside the food pipe. Anyway, I used to smoke then I quit but recently I smoked a bit when I was in holiday, after coming back from holidays I am getting a lump like feeling ...  Read Full »

Hair Loss - Common Causes and Hair Care Tips

Article Overview: Scalp hair has cosmetic value. Hair loss has become the most worrisome issue for both men and women. When a man or woman starts losing hair, it makes an impact on the psychological health, self-esteem, and confidence. Read Article

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Hair loss is a common condition faced by people of all age groups. There are various causes for hair loss. Hence understanding hair growth cycle is important to determine if the hair fall is normal or is due to an underlying cause. The Growth Cycle of Hair The human scalp has around one hundred th...  Read Article

I have not passed stool since eight days. Will I die of constipation?

Query: Hi doctor, I have not passed stool from the past eight days. This is the third time I am constipated, the last two times it got fixed within 2 to 3 days. I have tried everything, and yesterday I went to a doctor, who gave me a lot of medicines. I took all the medicines yesterday night as well as to...  Read Full »