Q. I have not passed stool since eight days. Will I die of constipation?

Dr. Babu Lal Meena
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 23, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 05, 2020

I have not passed stool from the past eight days. This is the third time I am constipated, the last two times it got fixed within 2 to 3 days. I have tried everything, and yesterday I went to a doctor, who gave me a lot of medicines. I took all the medicines yesterday night as well as today morning, but still, it did not help. I did pass a little stool midnight, but it was very less. I am attaching the medicines list. I have to strain a lot to pass stool, and I always feel a little stool is stuck in my anus. Will I die of constipation? My doctor told me if I do not pass stool today, he will do an enema. Am I suffering from a pelvic floor disorder? What is blocking my rectum? How to fix this? I am just an 18 year old male, and I see my friends playing and going to college, and I am stuck with this problem. 

#

• You have severe constipation, for which we need to clear the impaction. If you are passing gas and there is no distention of abdomen, then we can give a dose of laxatives, although you may require more doses.
  • I suggest you get an x-ray abdomen and share the report. I suggest you try doing the following.
  1. Try taking Peglec powder (combination of Sodium bicarbonate, Sodium and Potassium chloride, Sodium sulfate, and Peg-electrolytes), one packet in two 2 liters of water, after this you will pass loose stools. If the stool is not like water, then you can take one more dose.
  2. Once it gets cleared, then try taking a maintenance dose of laxatives. I suggest Laxopeg (Polyethylene Glycol), two sachets, once a day at night.
  3. Take a high-fiber diet. Drink plenty of water. Avoid junk foods. You will need to take laxatives for a long time.

Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines after their consent. Review back as per your requirement.

For further queries consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

|