Q. Can topical steroid cream help in healing the red spots on my nose?

I got red patches on my nose after using chemically made facial products while using Retin-A ointment. I have attached pictures. In that, I have used Cerave ointment for healing the marks. Now, I discontinued using Retin-A 0.025 % ointment.

Dr. Kakkar S
MBBS., MD
Dermatology, HIV/AIDS Specialist, Venereology

I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Retin-A (Tretinoin) makes the skin sensitive and a scrub or facial may cause dermatitis like this. I suggest you use a moderately potent topical steroid cream like Fluticasone propionate 0.05 % cream or Mometasone furoate 0.1 % cream, twice daily for a week. It will get fine.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Red spots will not heal without a steroid cream. I am a little scared of putting anything on my face. But can I use sunscreen or moisturizer on my face? Is it fine? Are you sure these steroid creams will heal it?

Dr. Kakkar S
MBBS., MD

Yes, you can use a moisturizer for a few days that would be fine. However, a topical steroid cream would heal it faster. Without steroid cream, it would take a longer time to recover.

What could be the best medicine for allergic rhinitis?
Query: Hi, I am currently using Duonase nasal spray and Odimont LC for the allergic rhinitis. I am getting mild fever after taking Duonase. Is it safe to take Duonase? Can I take Paracetamol for fever while using Duonase? Is there any alternative for Duonase without steroids?  Read Full »
Dr. Alok Rathi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Duonase (combination of Azelastine hydrochloride and Fluticasone propionate) is a topical corticosteroid and is safe. Yes, you can take Paracetamol for fever. For allergic rhinitis, topical steroids are to be taken. Alternative treatment is to avoid the possible allergen...  Read Full »

Topical Corticosteroids for Skin Conditions
Article Overview: Topical corticosteroids are the cornerstone therapy for many inflammatory skin conditions. So, a judicious use of topical steroids is necessary. This article guides us regarding the proper use of topical steroids in dermatological conditions and its ill effects on the skin and body.  Read Article »

What Are Corticosteroids? Corticosteroids are naturally-occurring or synthetic compounds with cyclopentanoperhydrophenanthrene ring. The major naturally occurring corticosteroid is cortisol, which is synthesized by the adrenal cortex. The synthetic corticosteroids are of different types and are used ...  Read Article »

What to do if I accidently got Fluticasone spray in the eyes?
Query: Hello doctor, I think my Flonase (Fluticasone) nasal spray bottle was empty which is actually was and I have no idea what suddenly changed. I started pumping it which I usually have to do when it is empty before I reached my nostril, and a puff sprayed into my left eye. As I heard the sound, I imme...  Read Full »
Dr. Shikha Gupta
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. For how long it is blurry? Did it improve at all or not? Give a thorough wash for at least half an hour with clean water. If the vision improved after washing, then there is no need to be the worry, but if it is still blurry, then you must consult for any corneal les...  Read Full »

I have itchy red rashes that wrinkled after applying moisturizer. Please help.
Query: Hi doctor, I am having problem with dry skin and rashes. I have a history of atopic eczema on the neck for which I am applying Flutivate cream. 4 weeks back some red rashes started coming up with itching. I thought it is because of dry skin so I applied coconut oil and moisturizer. The redness has g...  Read Full »
Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Plastic Surgeon, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com.  Please share in detail about the onset, progression and duration of rash. Is popliteal fossa (shallow depression behind knee joint) or antecubital fossa involved?  What is the predominant complaint? Is it itching or burning? Do you have any rash over your thigh? Kind...  Read Full »

Please suggest tips for very dry skin.
Query: Hello doctor,I am a 20 year old female. I have too much dry skin. I mean extra dry skin. I use almond oil and moisturizing soap, but it is not effective.  Read Full »
Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The skin has to be moisturized well soon after a shower. Use a moisturizer which has ceramide in it like Eucerine moisturizer. Apply to body as soon as you come out of a shower. Continue using a moisturizing soap. Avoid hot shower, use warm water. Drink two to three l...  Read Full »

I took Flonase for hay fever and had chest tightness. Can I continue taking it?
Query: Hello doctor,I started taking Flonase at night for hay fever and when I wake up in the morning I am having wheezing and my chest is tight. I do not want to stop taking it because it is so helpful for my allergy symptoms but I am really worried about this side-effect. Current medications are Cymbalta...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Flonase (Fluticasone) is an intranasal steroid spray that has very less systemic absorption. It will help relieve allergy symptoms and will not cause wheezing. In fact, for wheezing, you may need another steroid, like an inhalant steroid using inhaler or Rotavap (rot...  Read Full »

Can scar reopening after surgery cause urinary problem in hypospadias patient?
My problem is erectile dysfunction and premature ejaculation. Kindly help.
Is there any harm to 3 months old baby due to a mobile tower?

Also Read Answers From