iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersDermatologytopical steroidsCan topical steroid cream help in healing the red spots on my nose?

Can topical steroid cream help in healing the red spots on my nose?


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At August 10, 2018
Reviewed AtJuly 26, 2023

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

I got red patches on my nose after using chemically made facial products while using Retin-A ointment. I have attached pictures. In that, I have used Cerave ointment for healing the marks. Now, I discontinued using Retin-A 0.025 % ointment.

Answered by Dr. Sushil Kakkar


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Retin-A (Tretinoin) makes the skin sensitive and a scrub or facial may cause dermatitis like this. I suggest you use a moderately potent topical steroid cream like Fluticasone propionate 0.05 % cream or Mometasone furoate 0.1 % cream, twice daily for a week. It will get fine.

Patient's Query

Thank you doctor,

Red spots will not heal without a steroid cream. I am a little scared of putting anything on my face. But can I use sunscreen or moisturizer on my face? Is it fine? Are you sure these steroid creams will heal it?

Answered by Dr. Sushil Kakkar


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

Yes, you can use a moisturizer for a few days that would be fine. However, a topical steroid cream would heal it faster. Without steroid cream, it would take a longer time to recover.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Sushil Kakkar
Dr. Sushil Kakkar


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy