Q. Will increasing the dosage of Topamax to 400 mg cause any adverse effect?

Dr. Ruhi Satija

I have been taking Topiramate 300 mg, along with Zyprexa 10 mg and Wellbutrin 400 mg as well as Clonazepam 0.5 mg three times a day. I have schizoaffective disorder and need to up my Zyprexa to 15 as I have been extremely irritable lately. However my Topiramate also serves me as an appetite suppressant and I am afraid that 15 mg of Olanzapine will cause a dramatic weight gain unless I also increase Topamax. Is it safe to increase Topamax to 400 gm?

Do you have a question on Topiramate or Olanzapine?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Ruhi Satija

MD PHYSICIAN., DPM., PGDPC., CMHE
Psychiatry

Increasing Olanzapine and Topiramate simultaneously is not a good idea. you can start with one medication at a time, or better idea would be to use Clonazepam more for the time being as I do not have details of your case, if your doctor is returning soon, you can manage the irritability with Clonazepam.

So much for your answer. I have been taking this cocktail for the past 15 years, was in the hospital for three months, in the beginning, I actually started (my first doctor) with Zyprexa 15 mg, not 10. Clonazepam does not mitigate my irritability, only helps with anxiety (somewhat). And my irritability and anger are very severe as I have also been diagnosed with the intermittent explosive disorder. I am also very weight-conscious and desperately trying to lose weight. My only concern is Topiramate overdose as they say but I would only be going from 300 mg to 400 mg. So not a big jump and I have never had seizures. Can you please advise?

Dr. Ruhi Satija

MD PHYSICIAN., DPM., PGDPC., CMHE
Psychiatry

If that is the case you can go ahead, 400 is an acceptable dose, and please do follow up with your psychiatrist as soon as possible. Also, try some relaxation techniques which should help you, progressive muscle relaxation, box breathing technique, deep breathing exercises have a good effect if brought into daily practice.

Also Read Answers From: Topiramate Olanzapine

Is the behavioral changes in my child due to antiepileptic drugs?
Query: Hi doctor, My son is 3 years 9 months now. He has been diagnosed with benign childhood epilepsy. He is taking Clobazam 15 mg at night and Topiramate 100 mg per day for last four months. His seizures are under control and he attends LKG. The issue is that he is not able to concentrate in his studies...  Read Full >>
Dr. Deepak Patel
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hi Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your question in detail. The initial dose of Topiramate is 1 mg/kg/day which is gradually increased to 5-10 mg/kg/day. Your child is getting 100 mg Topiramate which is around 6 mg/kg/day. So, the dosage of Topiramate is correct. There are some side effects ...  Read Full

Can Lithium cause kidney and thyroid problems?
Query: Hello doctor, My health issue started 11 years back when I was diagnosed with mania. Since then, I have been taking Olimelt 5 mg. My weight has increased from 65 to 100 kg. Whenever I tried to stop the medicine, the problem worsened. I have had four manic episodes in all these years. The last epis...  Read Full >>
Dr. Aditya Gupta

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, Lithium can cause this side effect. Kindly discuss with your treating psychiatrist regarding substituting Lithium with Lurasidone or Quetiapine. Topiramate can be added to counter weight gain after discussing with your treating psychiatrist. Remember, every probl...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now