Q. What medicines can be taken for migraines and how are they prevented?

Dr. Nene Devavrat Harihar
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 05, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 16, 2022

I am 54 years old, and I have had migraines for the last 32 years. They are increasing day by day and always shifting from the right to the left side. I have had an MRI, CT scan, EEG, and echo, and all are normal. I have tried Ciplar, Sibelium, Betacap, and Zoly Plus, etc., for migraines. These all have helped, but they lead to depression. I then have to take medicines for depression, and they do not suit me, and I have side effects. Currently, I am on Rizact 10 mg for migraines and Pan-D. I am unable to understand what type of medication will suit me as I have migraines four to five times a week. Please advice.

#

The chronic migraines respond well to Topiramate 50 mg once a day for seven days and then 50 mg twice a day for a month. See if this works for you. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicines with their consent.

There are many tips to prevent migraines. The best way to avoid is to avoid precipitating factors like hunger, lack of sleep, overexertion, diet changes, traveling, etc.

|