Q. I have a hard lump on my palate. What could that be?

Dr. Prerna Jain
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 02, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 20, 2019

I have had this lump on my hard palate for about three months now. It is located near the middle line and a few millimeters to the left. It is about 2 x 2 mm in size, pretty round and it does not hurt. I thought this might be torus palatinus. But, I heard that this torus is mostly symmetrical and my lump is only on one side of the palate. In the picture, it looks a little red because I scratched it with my finger nail. It was just a little bit more red than the other side of my palate as I scratched it. So, what could this be? I am scared that it might be some kind of cancer.

#

• Looking at the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it looks more likely to be a torus palatinus. The location is in the midline only. However, it is a little smaller than usual.
  • Also, can you describe if it is a bony hard swelling or firm, fluid filled or soft compressible swelling? Do you have a history of consumption of tobacco in chewing or smoking form?
  • Do you have any other oral symptoms like changes in quantity and consistency of saliva? Do you have any other medical problems or taken any medications lately or any marked loss in weight?
  • It is not the stage to comment on cancer or the likes without proper investigations.
  • If you would like, then get an occlusal x-ray and CBCT maxilla (cone-beam computed tomography) done and share a few more intra oral pictures along with them.

Torus palatinus.

If torus palatinus, then it is completely harmless and require no further investigations.

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to a dentist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

When I try to press it, it is hard and almost as hard as a bone. I am 19 and I noticed it only about three months ago. I did not really pay attention to it and I thought that it might get smaller or disappear. But, I recently noticed it again. I smoked for about half a year, but not very much. I used to smoke maximum one cigarette a day and I quitted smoking now.

#

• Since it is hard, it could very well be a torus. However, there are a few other things that need to be checked on x-ray. It could be a cyst or odontome.
  • The best course of action is to get x-rays and CBCT done and have a follow up.
  • If those shows any changes, then we can go in for a systemic parameters check and if necessary a biopsy or FNAC (fine needle aspiration cytology).

For further information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|