Q. Can we conclude breast cancer with FNAC report?

Dr. Bharat Patodiya
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 20, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My wife, who is 41 years old, developed lumps in her breast a few months back. She consulted a doctor and was suggested to take Vitamin E tablets and asked to undergo mammogram and FNAC. The test results are enclosed. The doctor told us nothing to worry since the lumps are benign and the lumps have now completely disappeared. But, the report says further tests may be done. My wife does not want to undergo any more tests. Can we conclude that it is safe based on the reports? She had a similar problem about eight to nine years back and at that time also another doctor gave her Vitamin E tablets and the lumps disappeared. No tests were conducted that time. Please advise.

#

I have seen your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• The FNAC says it is benign (fine needle aspiration cytology). However, it is recommended to get an annual mammogram as follow up.
  • Moreover, as FNAC is not the best for diagnosis, a biopsy is recommended.
  • I am little concerned because the BI-RADS 4 (breast imaging reporting and data system) on the right side with the lymph node present.
  • If a physical examination is suggestive, then probably would also like to get a MRI breast.
  • Does she have a family history of any cancer?

Revert back with the answer to the above question to a medical oncologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-oncologist

My wife's paternal grandmother had breast cancer and maternal grandmother had stomach cancer. I did not understand the BI-RADS 4. As of now, all the lumps are gone. We will definitely do the annual checkup. Can you suggest what should be the next course of action?

#

• Regarding your wife, with such positive family history of cancer, I would not neglect current finding.
  • At this moment, I would suggest you to get examined by a breast surgeon. A breast MRI can give a more clear radiological picture. I also feel that a formal biopsy should be done.
  • She will need a more detailed genetic history evaluation for the possibility of family cancer syndrome.

For further information consult a medical oncologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-oncologist

|