Q. Can we conclude breast cancer with FNAC report?

Answered by
Dr. Bharat Patodiya
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 20, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hi doctor,

My wife, who is 41 years old, developed lumps in her breast a few months back. She consulted a doctor and was suggested to take Vitamin E tablets and asked to undergo mammogram and FNAC. The test results are enclosed. The doctor told us nothing to worry since the lumps are benign and the lumps have now completely disappeared. But, the report says further tests may be done. My wife does not want to undergo any more tests. Can we conclude that it is safe based on the reports? She had a similar problem about eight to nine years back and at that time also another doctor gave her Vitamin E tablets and the lumps disappeared. No tests were conducted that time. Please advise.



Welcome to

I have seen your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

  • The FNAC says it is benign (fine needle aspiration cytology). However, it is recommended to get an annual mammogram as follow up.
  • Moreover, as FNAC is not the best for diagnosis, a biopsy is recommended.
  • I am little concerned because the BI-RADS 4 (breast imaging reporting and data system) on the right side with the lymph node present.
  • If a physical examination is suggestive, then probably would also like to get a MRI breast.
  • Does she have a family history of any cancer?

Revert back with the answer to the above question to a medical oncologist online -->

Thank you doctor,

My wife's paternal grandmother had breast cancer and maternal grandmother had stomach cancer. I did not understand the BI-RADS 4. As of now, all the lumps are gone. We will definitely do the annual checkup. Can you suggest what should be the next course of action?



Welcome back to

  • Regarding your wife, with such positive family history of cancer, I would not neglect current finding.
  • At this moment, I would suggest you to get examined by a breast surgeon. A breast MRI can give a more clear radiological picture. I also feel that a formal biopsy should be done.
  • She will need a more detailed genetic history evaluation for the possibility of family cancer syndrome.

For further information consult a medical oncologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
What are the small clustered cystic areas seen in the left breast.

They will examine and may do an ultrasound of pelvis to check ovaries and uterus ... Hello doctor, I have multiple small clustered cystic areas seen in the left breast ... But you should do a ba...   Read full

Tips to Prevent Breast Cancer

There are a few risk factors that make you more susceptible to get breast cancer, which cannot always be prevented ... Breast cancer risk factors mean anything that affects your chance of getting...   Read full

For breast cancer, should we do chemo first or surgery?

Hi doctor, My grandmother was diagnosed with breast cancer three years ago and had a right mastectomy ... She has a little extra fat to the lateral area of the breast that after surgery it looke...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Sexual Problems and Depression
Depression is one of the commonest psychiatric problems in the general population. About 10 % of men and more than doubl...  Read more»
Holiday Season During the Pandemic
Most of us wonder if there is a way to celebrate the holiday season during the COVID-19 pandemic safely. Here are some i...  Read more»
Skin Care Tips To Win Over Winter
This article discusses a few tips to manage and protect your skin during winter.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Medical Oncologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.