Q. How to make sure that I am suffering from toxic shock syndrome?

Dr. Balakrishnan. R
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 02, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 05, 2022

I am on new birth control and getting some discomfort. When I looked up the side effects of the birth control, it said that all my symptoms could be toxic shock syndrome. I am currently on Doxycycline and Wellbutrin. How can I be sure about the syndrome?

#

• Let me first tell you to just relax. If you really had toxic shock syndrome, as the name suggests you will have toxic features and admitted to the hospital with shock.
  • May be your body is not reacting normally to this method. If so, just remove the ring immediately and check if the symptoms are relieved. Usually, you will be fine in a day or two. You can help yourself with some Paracetamol tablets.
  • If not relieved, then you will have to meet your gynecologist and have a vaginal swab taken. Based on that you may need a course of antibiotics.
  • The contraceptive causing toxic shock syndrome is an extremely rare complication. So, I feel you should not see your symptom from that angle. It may be a simple infection in the vagina, which will subside soon.

|