Q. My pregnant wife was scratched by a cat. Do I need to be worried?

This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 22, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 10, 2020

My wife who is 5 months pregnant was slightly scratched by a cat. Almost half a drop of blood was visible on one of the scratch. Cat is not vaccinated. It just sleeps and eats in our house. Please help.

#

• Important point to consider is your wife's exposure to cat litter.
  • Toxoplasmosis can spread through the exposure to cat litter; usually antibodies to toxoplasmosis are checked in first three months of pregnancy.
  • They might have been checked already. If not, then I would highly encourage you to show her to an obstetrician.
  • Regarding the cut, apply local antibiotic cream and keep it clean.
  • If there is any redness or drainage, then she need further treatment.

Avoid handling cat litter.

Follow up in two weeks to an internal medicine physician online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

What is the 6 mm mole on the side of my head?

Query: Hello doctor,I recently discovered a mole on the side of my head which is less than 6 mm in diameter and looks irritated. I would appreciate having someone look at it to further determine if I should have it looked at in person. I have had the mole my whole life. However, I do not remember it appear...  Read Full »

How to Relieve the Pain Caused by Corneal Abrasion?

Article Overview: What to do if you scratch your eye? If you have eye pain, foreign body sensation, or excessive tearing after scratching your eye, it can be a sign of corneal abrasion. Read Article

Dr. Vidhi Hareshbhai Talati
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

What Is Corneal Abrasion? Scratched cornea of the human eye is also known as a corneal abrasion. Cornea is a colored protective layer over the iris and the pupil. The corneal layer is important for vision, filtration of harmful rays such as intense ultraviolet rays, and protection. Corneal injury m...  Read Article

Periodontitis

Article Overview: It is one of the most common oral conditions that affect the supporting structures of teeth (periodontium) along with gums, including both soft and hard tissues (bone). They can show many symptoms but the common one for which patient seeks professional help is mobile teeth.  Read Article

Periodontitis Overview It is one of the most common oral conditions that affect the supporting structures of teeth (periodontium) along with gums, including both soft and hard tissues (bone). They can show many symptoms but the common one for which patient seeks professional help is mobile teeth. ...  Read Article

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»