Q. What is the 6 mm mole on the side of my head?

Dr. Kakkar

I recently discovered a mole on the side of my head which is less than 6 mm in diameter and looks irritated. I would appreciate having someone look at it to further determine if I should have it looked at in person. I have had the mole my whole life. However, I do not remember it appearing the way it does today (I feel that the color has changed).

#

The mole certainly looks irritated and red (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Perhaps it is due to trauma. Trauma is the most common cause of a mole becoming inflamed or irritated. I suggest you use an OTC (over-the-counter) topical antibiotic like Neosporin ointment or Mupirocin 2 % cream, twice daily for a week or 10 days.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Thank you for your response. Are you not concerned regarding the general appearance of the mole? I had a nevus with moderate atypia removed approximately six months ago, hence my concern. Thank you again for your timely response.

#

That is an important piece of information. This mole definitely looks red, irritated or inflamed which may seem as if the mole has progressed. However, since trauma (due to combing, etc.) could very well make a benign mole look like a malignant one, so I suggest you observe it for a few days while you use a topical antibiotic. If it does not improve in a week then perhaps there is a reason for a skin biopsy.

|