Q. My cough lasted only for a week and the doctor says it is tuberculosis. Please help.

Dr. Indu Bhushan Kumar
Published on Jun 20, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

• There is parenchymal infiltrate on the right upper lobe of my lung.
  • My doctor said that I have a ptb3, which looks like a serious stage of tuberculosis.
  • I was shocked because I never had a cough since September.
  • Before the month of September, my cough lasted only for a week and then suddenly went off and I feel all right until now.
  • I never had a fever or cough again.
  • I searched through internet about the symptoms of tuberculosis and I found that I experienced none of those symptoms. Please help.

Dr. Indu Bhushan Kumar

Radiodiagnosis
#

• Only parenchymal infiltration in the right upper lobe does not confirm tuberculosis.
  • It needs clinical correlation and further investigations.
  • You need an apicolordotic view of chest x-ray.
  • It gives an excellent view of apical region of lungs.
  • Because, in the normal chest x-ray (PA view), apical region of lungs are covered by bony ribs, clavicle etc.
  • You also have to do routine hemogram, Mantoux test, TB Gold Test (it is the most sensitive test to diagnose tuberculosis).
  • In such cases, I would suggest broad spectrum antibiotics and then go for follow up chest x-ray.
  • In non resolving infiltration, I exclude other possibilities like tuberculosis etc.
  • There is no need to panic, you should go for investigations and the treatment will depend upon the findings.

Revert back with the reports to a pulmonologist online for further follow up --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pulmonologist

Does my chest x-ray show any nodules of concern?

Query: Hello doctor, I am looking for a second opinion regarding my chest x-ray. The chest x-ray showed no masses, nodules or pneumonia. I just have a very mild inflammation and an old rib injury. The doctor told me that I had heart deformities, but I already knew about those.  Read Full >>

Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen your x-ray reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There appears to be a mild prominence of the bronchovascular markings in both the lungs, more so in the lower lobes. This is not a serious problem and sometimes can occur without any acc...  Read Full

How to proceed with my chronic dry cough?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 24 year old female. I am suffering from cough for almost a month and my abdomen is paining badly due to cough. The cough gets so severe and I end up vomiting, be it early morning or night. I consulted the doctor and was diagnosed with chronic cough. I followed the medicine and it o...  Read Full >>

Dr. Abhishek Dixit
Nephrologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Chronic cough for more than three weeks needs evaluation. I would recommend to check CBC (complete blood count), ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), Mantoux test, chest x-ray, ECG and serum creatinine levels. Chronic GERD - gastroesophageal acid reflux symptoms...  Read Full

I used cocaine and now I have cough and phlegm with itchiness in throat. Why?

Query: Hi doctor,I used cocaine for six months but for four months, I have coughs and phlegm especially in the morning. I never had throat pain. It just feels itchy. I saw a doctor who gave me allergy spray with Cortizon but I took it for just one month. I keep drinking alcohol and cold drinks which makes ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Syed Tehmid

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity) that you have attached shows slightly enlarged tonsils with granular pharyngitis. There is nothing to worry. Your symptoms are due to chronic irritation of your throat which could be due to rhinosinusitis o...  Read Full

Ask a Pulmonologist Now