Tumor Marker

Please advise treatment for stomach cancer metastases to six lymph nodes.

Query: Hello doctor, My father had surgery a month back for stomach cancer bleeding tumor and in the histopathological report after surgery showed that metastatic deposits of the tumor have been found in six lymph nodes. I request you to kindly advice what would be the best possible treatment in this scen...  Read Full »

Dr. Satyajit Jalinder Pawar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As seen in your reports, your father had stomach cancer, which is stage III. He will definitely need further treatment to avoid recurrence of the tumor. Usually, treatment should be started within 6 to 8 weeks. He has two options: Only chemotherapy or Chemotherap...  Read Full »

Please suggest a treatment for acute lymphoblastic leukemia.

Query: Hello doctor, A 39 year old female patient is suffering from acute lymphoblastic leukemia. She is currently being treated at a hospital by an oncologist. I am attaching her reports. Please suggest a treatment.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am sorry to hear about the patient's condition. I have gone through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Lymphoblast is an abnormal form and in leukemia, premature cells are seen in the blood in increased number. So, as the blast cells were p...  Read Full »

I have large mass in left adenexa with cystic component. Dont I need surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a large mass measuring 80 X 64 X 80 mm in the left adnexa with two components cystic and mixed echogenicity. Tumour markers have ruled out malignancy and as a result, despite the pain I am in, I have been refused emergency surgery. As I have also no sign of ovarian torsion, and t...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sorry to hear about your ovarian cyst. Following is my honest opinion for you. You are having an ovarian cyst with a size of nearby 8 cm. Any ovarian benign tumor or cyst more than 5 cm in size usually need to be removed if it is symptomatic or looks cancerous. In your...  Read Full »

What is the difference between a cystic structure and a cyst?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a CT scan of the abdomen and pelvis with IV contrast. The radiologist report is as follows. The findings are as follows. There is a 0.9 cm cystic structure in the uncinate process, which is new since the comparative examination with the last year scan report. This should be further...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are here to help you. Cystic structure or cyst is the same thing. Actually cyst is completely surrounded by a wall while your radiologist might have seen a structure similar to cyst with ill-defined walls. Radiology is not the answer to your question. You will get your...  Read Full »

CA-125 test value is 13.32 U/ml after tumor removal. Is chemotherapy required?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife has undergone tumor removal surgery along with uterus and ovary removal a week back. CA-125 test value is 13.32 U/ml. The doctor has advised to undergo 4 to 6 sessions of chemotherapy based on the biopsy report and below impression: Sex cord- stromal tumor– granulosa ce...  Read Full »

Dr. Jatin Bhatia

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), I have a couple of questions. First and foremost, any other blood tests done, called as tumor markers, similar to CA 125, like AFP, bHCG, inhibin, estrogen? Based on the details provided...  Read Full »

The doctor has a hard time explaining these tumor marker test results. Can you?

Query: Hello doctor, I was just curious what your translation of this might be. I am copying this information directly from a printout of medical records which I can upload if necessary. This is the tumor marker test results of a 70 year old white male. Reports from three years ago: CEA 1.4 ng/mL AFP-tu...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your post and investigations. AFP means alfa-fetoprotein. It is elevated commonly in three conditions which are: Liver cell carcinoma. Hepatitis.  Germ cell tumors. You have reported two different levels, one is 18 and the other is more than 26 thousand...  Read Full »

A metastasis has been found in the abdominal wall. How can primary cancer be found?

Query: Hello doctor,My mother-in-law has a small cancer in the epigastric abdominal wall with adenocarcinoma, metastatic. We are carrying out further tests including PET-CT scan, endoscopy, colonoscopy, CBC, and all the CA tests, but no primary cancer was found. Now, what will I do?  Read Full »

Dr. Arshad Hussain Shah

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the reports of your mother-in-law (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It looks like they have not yet completed the full work up. Biopsy from the abdominal wall nodule shows metastatic adenocarcinoma. So now, they must do upper GI en...  Read Full »

How can we treat cyst in the ovary?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 40 years female. I have a cyst with echoes in the right ovary measuring 53 x 52 mm found during ultrasound. What to do? I am taking tablet Thyronorm 150 mg.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The cyst in the right ovary is found with thick walls and shows internal echoes, with size more than 4 mm. Ideally, the differentiation is needed to be done to know whether it is endom...  Read Full »

What does raised tumor marker indicate?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother is receiving breast cancer treatment for the past five years. Recently, she went for the blood test, and her results for tumor marker CA 15-3 has gone above 500 U/mL. Is it bad? Does her cancer got spread? I am concerned. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Arshad Hussain Shah

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. Cancer antigen 15-3 (CA 15-3) is a tumor marker. Its range is raised. It is alarming and highly suspicious to have the recurrence of the previously treated breast cancer. So it is better to repeat the test. So, she must consult her oncolog...  Read Full »

I am 22 weeks pregnant with 20 cm ovarian cyst. What can be done?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 22 weeks pregnant, and I have a 20 cm cyst on the right ovary. It has become big during pregnancy. Before pregnancy, it was 6 cm. I do not have any problem till now. I have done the tumor marker tests. Please advise. What can be done?  Read Full »

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Does it got increased from 6 cm to 20 cm in a few months? What does the tumor marker test report? Was the measurement appropriately done? Is this is a single cyst size? Is it a solid or fluid-filled cyst? A Dermoid cyst with multiple solid tissues could show torsion. So...  Read Full »